Making Gumpaste People Using A Mould

Sugar Work By zespri Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 4:14am by zespri

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 14

Hi folks

I just bought this people mould:
http://www.cakestuff.co.nz/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=432

But it did not come with any instructions. Has anyone used anything like it before? I have tried googling, but had no luck.

I guess I want to know if I am supposed to cut out the figures from the plastic before using, if so, do I leave a border? Is there a special way to press the gumpaste in there, and how do I get it out again? Is it supposed to dry first, and if so, can I then re-shape it later so he is sitting down? Is there a special way to attach the limbs....?

So many questions!!! Any advice greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

13 replies
kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 14

I'm about to try the same people molds, weird I came upon this post. This is how I plan to use molds (not sure how it will turn out since this is my first try, lol). I think these molds are meant as a starting point really. I will press fondant/gumpaste into each half and pull them out before they dry. They will have to be put together, formed a little more and smoothed out. I will paint each half with a thin amount of water before pressing them together. After sticking them together I will form them better and smooth out line left from connection. The limbs will be applied with glue that I make from a mixture of fondant, tylose and water. Thats my plan. I'll be watching post for the answers from others also because I'm sure someone has used these molds and have better advice icon_smile.gif

zespri Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:06am
post #3 of 14

Thanks for your reply Kim, I'm glad there is someone else in the same boat! Thank you for writing down your thoughts on workflow, that is indeed helpful.

Right after I posted this topic, I thought I'd e-mail the store and see if they could help. She replied back so quickly, and was very friendly. So I'll post what she told me in case it helps you too:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I dust the mouds with a little cornflour first to make it easier to release the parts, and leave it in the mould for 10-15 mins to harden a little. The cornflour dusts off with a brush afterwards.
I just turn the moulds over and push with my thumb and fingers to release them from the mould, you can reposition them into any position you like while the fondant/gumpaste is still soft and pliable.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you think you will use fondant or gumpaste? Both she and you said 'fondant/gumpaste', does that mean you will use a mixture of both, or that you could use either?

What do you plan on forming them with, your fingers, or tools? I'm not sure which tools I need to buy, but every time I try and make figures they end up looking all lumpy, so I think I need to buy some tools.

Once your person is done, do you plan on 'dressing' them? I haven't quite got to that point yet, but I've never painted anything before either!

zespri Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 14

Morning Kim!

I tried it last night, and it was a complete failure!! It was really difficult to get the fondant pressed into the face cavity, I could see through the plastic that the nose and other bits would be hollow. Then when I finally packed it all in well, I wasn't sure what to do about all the overflow. Do I leave it on there, or cut it off flush with the plastic?

By the way, did you cut your plastic shapes out, or leave them in one big piece?

I left it all on there to make it easier to get out, but I have no idea how I planned on getting it cut off nicely after it was out of the mold. But that turned out not to be a problem as it all fell apart when I tried to get it out anyway. There's no way I could push him out with my thumbs like the person I quoted in the above post said she does. The plastic is way too hard.

It's advertised as being for fondant, but perhaps a bit of tylose might help. However I don't want it to set too hard or I won't be able to re-position him afterwards.

How did yours turn out?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 14

Did y'all use gumpaste?

zespri Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 14

No, I didn't. The mold was advertised as a fondant mold, and I assumed gumpaste would not allow you to re-position the figure once it was out....?

Also I wrote to the website I bought it off, and she said she uses it with fondant, or sometimes a little bit of tylose.

Do you think it will be too difficult with fondant on it's own? I have never used straight gumpaste, will it allow for easy manipulation later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Did y'all use gumpaste?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 14

If she uses fondant with tylose then you can use either straight gumpaste or a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mix. Once anything is dry, either fondant or gumpaste you cannot reposition it but you can manipulate both before they are dry completely. Fondant alone may be too flexible to use straight and it takes a lot longer to dry.

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 14

I haven't had time to try my molds yet. I kinda figured they wouldn't be the best. I really bought them for the facial features. My plan was to make everything including the head shape (without molds) and then push the "head" in the mold hope for a face. I really want the PME people molds. www.fondantsource.com has it for $39.99 though http://www.fondantsource.com/pmepemofaset.html

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:54am
post #9 of 14

Hello Zespri. I am no help to you but just wanted to say Hi to a fellow kiwi !! I am just outside Christchurch.

zespri Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 7:23pm
post #10 of 14

A kiwi! So nice to see icon_smile.gif I just looked at your photos, they are amazing, so unique! I've never seen techniques like it, you do really lovely work. The stained glass has me enchanted, and makes me wonder how much work you put into making the turkish delight. I've never made it, but understand it takes hours and hours to make, especially in all those different colours. I've always wanted to learn to make stained glass, so I'm particularly enchanted by it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strathmore

Hello Zespri. I am no help to you but just wanted to say Hi to a fellow kiwi !! I am just outside Christchurch.

sweetK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetK Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 14

I just used this mold for a groom not too long ago, and now for Willie Wonka for a gingerbread candyland theme for December. I sprayed my mold with nonstick and then pushed the gumpaste in. You have to carefully toothpick or ease it out or the features distort. I add my own features using gumpaste tools. I glued the pieces together with gumpaste glue and then smoothed out my lines. I always add clothes, hair, eyes, and etc. to hide the flaws. I do the shoes in the color I want and the hands in flesh color too. You really have to have patience and work with it. The groom took me about 15 hours to do and it took almost a month to dry. I was not happy with the gumpaste and am looking for a better product. I liked the flexibility, but the drying time was ridiculous. I wouldn't use fondant in these molds. You can look at two of my figures on my webpage: gigglingfuschia.webs.com

zespri Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 14

Hi sweetK, thanks for chiming in.

How did you smooth out the lines? When i put my two pieces together, I can't seem to make them look like one piece without ruining the rest.

I can't believe how long it took, that's insane! Was that becasue you are just learning to use them, or is that normal?

I have looked at your website (some amazing cakes, btw!), but am not sure which you mean you used the mould on, there were several figures on there.

sweetK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetK Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:53am
post #13 of 14

Hi there, just back from ICES! It was incredible. I learned so much and loved seeing all the products. To answer the questions, I used the molds you have for the groom on the shower cake. I used a face mold by FIMO for the expecting mom, and a book on clay characters for for Guy F. Guy F. was freehand. It took me a long time because I played with the face on the groom to make it look like the actual man. I use the ball tool from my gumpaste set to smooth out the lines. I never get them completely smooth and that's why I add clothes. If you sew, it helps you dress the characters a lot. I think the medium is where the answer lies. This last pkg. of gumpaste I bought (don't remember the brand) took forever to dry and was too elastic. I think that was part of my problem. My Willie Wonka is now hard as a rock and I'm wondering how I am going to get him to stand next to the chocolate waterfall!

zespri Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:14am
post #14 of 14

I knew there was a reason I bought some tools!! I bought a set of them, but thus far haven't known what to do with them icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetK

I use the ball tool from my gumpaste set to smooth out the lines.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%