Anyone Used Xanthan Gum In Fondant/sugar Paste?

Decorating By eve81 Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 11:15am by ilovemakingcakes

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone. I've recently joined cc, and only baking/decorating cakes since april this year. I've spent a lot of time reading all your helpful tips and recipes, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a query.

I've been reading a lot online about different ways to stiffen the fondant to make 3d figures and Im trying to find a good medium to work with. I find ready made fondant too soft and I'm using gum trag but I have to order this off ebay. I dont seem to be able to obtain Tylose powder in the uk or ireland but I saw Xanthan gum in the supermarket today and was wondering if anyone has experience of using this or if it would even work?
It's probably a longshot I know but any advice, even a "dont be ridiculous" would clue me in icon_wink.gif

4 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:29am
post #2 of 5

Xanthan gum can be used in the formulation of Rolled FOndant. BUT. It is not usually done.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 5

Xanthan gum is a cellulose thickening/ binding powder, It is often used as a binding agent in gluten free baking. I've never used it with fondant. It might help to thicken the fondant but I don't know if it would help it dry for molded pieces like tylose does. I've got some Xantham, I'll have to experiment. icon_wink.gif

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:27am
post #4 of 5

I actually bought it to do some gf baking and thought it might be worth a try in the fondant. It looks like the gum tragacanth...........mmmm.....might give it a try too icon_wink.gif

ilovemakingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovemakingcakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:15am
post #5 of 5

Hi Eve81,

I'm also in Ireland.

I got my tylo powder online - from www.cake-stuff.co.uk as it was cheaper even including postage.

Whereabouts are you based in Ireland?

I know Kitchen Compliments in Dublin sell it. I think the Crafter's Basket in Sligo also do and both of these do postage.

I would not use xanthan gum.

You can use Gum trag but I think it needs to be left to harden overnight before using and is more expensive than tylo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%