Coach Purse Cake - Please Help

Decorating By jewelamber8 Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 11:10pm by erichazann

jewelamber8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelamber8 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 9

Can someone point me in the right direction of a good tutorial on how to make a coach purse cake. I have someone wanting one on August 13th. Please recommend the best type of cake recipe for staking a 3d cake like this. Also, what is the best way to get the Cs on the cake? I appreciate all of your time & help!

8 replies
808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 9

I am by no means an expert but I have done a few Coach purses. Each time I have used a box chocolate cake(this seems to work for me). Then I froze the layers and then carved it. I did, however, just make the Wedding cake recipe found on cc. It was pretty dense and would probably carve well. Tastes great too! I made my own stencil and airbrushed my c's on there. Pretty lengthy process, but turns out nice. I know some people use fondant for the c's but I prefer the airbrush. You can see some in my pics. Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

jewelamber8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelamber8 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:01am
post #3 of 9

Wow! Your cakes are amazing! I would love to learn the airbrush method, but don't know a lot about it. I guess I need to do some searching to figure all of that out. Do you know if there is a template or stencil for the Cs? Thank you so much for your help!!

808hedda Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks icon_smile.gif There is a template in the sketches and templates area. This is what I used. I bought a blank plastic stencil sheet. There is is stencil cutter I bought at a craft store. If I can find it here in Hawaii, then guarantee you'll be able to find one. It's about $15-$20. I taped the temlate to the back of the stencil sheet and traced it. Then I cut it with the cutter(which actually melts it). Then you put your colors in the air brush and spray away. I have so much to learn about airbrushing, too. I just bought one and tried learning it on my own.

erichazann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erichazann Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808hedda

Thanks icon_smile.gif There is a template in the sketches and templates area. This is what I used. I bought a blank plastic stencil sheet. There is is stencil cutter I bought at a craft store. If I can find it here in Hawaii, then guarantee you'll be able to find one. It's about $15-$20. I taped the temlate to the back of the stencil sheet and traced it. Then I cut it with the cutter(which actually melts it). Then you put your colors in the air brush and spray away. I have so much to learn about airbrushing, too. I just bought one and tried learning it on my own.

I did almost the exact same thing for the logo on this cake but I found the stencil cutter was a PITA to work with.. I thought it was going to be a dream come true. Cutting these tiny details it was difficult to get the melted bits to detach properly and they just ended up creating a melted rim around the cut part.. which is bad, the stencil has to lay completely flat for airbrushing.

So i gave up on the cutter and switched to an exacto and that worked great.. then I had to use a nail file to file off the melted bits around the edges of the cut parts.

After all that work, I didn't want to hook up the airbrush and just used a foodwriter marker! Works just as well for small details. (I wrote the letters on by hand, that's why they look like crap..)

Maybe I used the wrong type of blank? The one I used was pretty thick, like my normal cake stencils.
LL

808hedda Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 9

Well, I don't have access to cake supplies over here so I utilize what I can. I don't even know what thickness a cake stencil is. I did have to file the edges too. I have found that with my foode writer, it indents into the cake. But the process is a headache. Especially, since I took my airbrush apart and I don't think I put it together properly.

erichazann Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:

Well, I don't have access to cake supplies over here so I utilize what I can. I don't even know what thickness a cake stencil is. I did have to file the edges too. I have found that with my foode writer, it indents into the cake. But the process is a headache. Especially, since I took my airbrush apart and I don't think I put it together properly.

I just meant I didn't use the mylar design stencils. I got the blanks and the cutter at michaels. All the premade stencils were the same thickness of the blanks, but they had these special design stencils that showed on the package the cutter being used with them.. and they seemed thinner.

I used a Americolor gourmet writer, which has a softer tip.. more like a paint brush. It would be a PITA to do a whole purse with it tho I guess.

I want to try the fillable watercolor paintbrushes filled with foodcoloring sometime. Seems like it would be much more cost effectice than food coloring pens that dry out quickly.

808hedda Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 9

I never heard of fillable water color brushes. That sounds awesome! Where do you think I could find that?

erichazann Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:

I never heard of fillable water color brushes. That sounds awesome! Where do you think I could find that?

I saw them with the stamp pads at Michaels (odd location, I thought). I think this might have been the brand...Aquastroke? http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-art-supplies/online/2910/art-supplies/4

I just googled "fillable watercolor brushes".. there seem to be many brands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%