Biggest Idea I've Had! Need Help With Solutions!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 10:55pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 27

OK WOW! i'M SOOOO FLIPPIN EXCITED ABOUT MY IDEA! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

It's for my Dad's 50th Birthday...I am planning a big party for him and it's going to be a Toast and Roast icon_lol.gif anyway...my dad has big personality and I wanted a cake to match it for this very special bday!

At first I was just going to do a Packers stadium cake...too much detail was going to drive me crazy. So, I've decided on doing a LOMBARDI TROPHY OVER A PACKER FOOTBALL FIELD! icon_biggrin.gif can you tell I'm excited!? icon_lol.gif

ok...so a couple things. First off I was thinking I would use rice krispy treats for the stand of the trophy so i wouldn't have to carve a bunch of cake. Can I get some places on HOW to use these or tips on how to use this??? the one time i used them was to help my husband with a frog cake and I kind of felt like it was a disaster! it was soo messy and not hard enough icon_confused.gif

Also, the trophy is totally silver and as much as I would LOVE to paint the whole thing with a brush of luster dust I know there's got to be an easier way. I don't have an airbrush...is there something I can use that is similar to Luster Dust that's a spray?

I'm thinking the field is going to be fairly easy so i'm not worried about that. If ANYONE can point me in the right direction on solutions for the trophy i would sooo appreciate it icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

26 replies
Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 27

I have also struggled with using RKT and have just had to play around with it a bit. I have found that if you don't make them like you are going to eat them it works out. Just having enough marshmallow they they aren't super sticky but still are able to be formed and carved. I usually just melt the marshmallows and then start adding krispies until I get the correct consistency and then let them sit to cool.

As far as the silver, they do have a spray silver that is sold in a can. I've never tried it but have seen it and it may work for you. I think Duff's new line has silver but not 100% sure. I do know there are others, though! Good luck and post a pic ... sounds like a really neat idea!!

bchumley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchumley Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 27

Chefmaster makes an edible metallic spray...super easy to use & covers well.

step0nmi Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchumley

Chefmaster makes an edible metallic spray...super easy to use & covers well.

oooHHH...where can I find that?

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 27

Yes Duff's does have a silver spray in a can I've seen them at Michaels. Have fun with your cake & post pics please! Good luck thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany0481

I have also struggled with using RKT and have just had to play around with it a bit. I have found that if you don't make them like you are going to eat them it works out. Just having enough marshmallow they they aren't super sticky but still are able to be formed and carved. I usually just melt the marshmallows and then start adding krispies until I get the correct consistency and then let them sit to cool.

As far as the silver, they do have a spray silver that is sold in a can. I've never tried it but have seen it and it may work for you. I think Duff's new line has silver but not 100% sure. I do know there are others, though! Good luck and post a pic ... sounds like a really neat idea!!

hmmm...maybe that's the trick to it. maybe we used too many marshmallows and it was too soft. we didn't let it sit though...are you suppose to? icon_razz.gif

I will have to look into the Duff one's...I just bought a can of green but don't remember seeing silver lol

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 27

I make my RKT by smashing up the RK practically into dust with a rolling pin. This makes for a sturdier packing (but you will use a lot more RK cereal than normal) and I leave out the butter altogether.
Smashing them up also helps eliminate the bumpiness of the end result.

Country kitchen sa (website: all one word) carries a silver spray.
around $9-10 bucks. Works great!

Have Fun!

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 27

I bought one of the Duff's silver and it was more of a metallic gray - not really silver (I used it on a motorcycle tire cake for a chain & wheel rims). Also, I used about 1/2 the can and then it didn't work anymore - still felt like there was paint, but no spray. I didn't take it back.

step0nmi Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

I make my RKT by smashing up the RK practically into dust with a rolling pin. This makes for a sturdier packing (but you will use a lot more RK cereal than normal) and I leave out the butter altogether.
Smashing them up also helps eliminate the bumpiness of the end result.

Country kitchen sa (website: all one word) carries a silver spray.
around $9-10 bucks. Works great!

Have Fun!

I LOVE THAT SITE! and I found it thumbs_up.gif

thanks for all the ideas on the RKT! I didn't think about leaving the butter out...duhhh, that makes everything more flimsy icon_rolleyes.gif

step0nmi Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by langranny

I bought one of the Duff's silver and it was more of a metallic gray - not really silver (I used it on a motorcycle tire cake for a chain & wheel rims). Also, I used about 1/2 the can and then it didn't work anymore - still felt like there was paint, but no spray. I didn't take it back.

good to know! thumbs_up.gif I think i'm going to go with the Chefmaster since I know I've heard good things about them.

Have you thought about running your nozzle under warm water? just a thought

bchumley Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 27

oooHHH...where can I find that?[/quote]

I got mine at my local baking supply store, but I've seen the brand in several online stores as well...even Amazon carries it. It was one of those things that sounded too friggin simple to actually work, but it came out fantastic!

I saw Duff's brand at Michaels the other day too, but I've never used it...might be worth a try to save shipping costs if the Chefmaster isn't in stock locally.

bchumley Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:

...or maybe not icon_sad.gif

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 27

I don't have any tips for you, but I do have this to say GO PACK!! can't wait to see pics!!!!!

step0nmi Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:32pm
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyNoQ

I don't have any tips for you, but I do have this to say GO PACK!! can't wait to see pics!!!!!

THANKS! thumbs_up.gif

this is fitting for him since he's one of the biggest Packer fans I know...ever since he was a kid and he knows ALL the stats about them. He deserves the trophy icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 27

The little modeling with RKTs I've done, I used the store bought ones and mashed them all together and they were sturdy and easy too work with. Not soft at all, almost not soft enough. You could buy the big case at Sam's and microwave them if you need to soften them up just a bit but it will save you a lot of time and cleanupicon_smile.gif

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 7:51pm
post #16 of 27

Americolor has a silver shimmer airbrush color I used it for this cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1436633.html I actually brushed mine on though ( I took my airbrush apart to clean it and cant figure out how to put it back together icon_redface.gif ) I believe I bought it at fondant source.com.

step0nmi Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennieK

Americolor has a silver shimmer airbrush color I used it for this cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1436633.html I actually brushed mine on though ( I took my airbrush apart to clean it and cant figure out how to put it back together icon_redface.gif ) I believe I bought it at fondant source.com.

thank you...i don't have an airbrush machine. I think i'm going to use the Chefmaster icon_smile.gif

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:19pm
post #18 of 27

Covering your RKT with royal icing or modeling chocolate will help keep it together. You could then cover with fondant if you want or you could just coat RI or modeling chocolate with silver color.

step0nmi Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:22pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonilm

Covering your RKT with royal icing or modeling chocolate will help keep it together. You could then cover with fondant if you want or you could just coat RI or modeling chocolate with silver color.

i think to keep my costs down I'm going to cover with RI and then with fondant in order to keep the look of the trophy the same. I'll be covering the football with fondant.

What kind of support should I use inside the trophy stand? I don't think it's going to be THAT huge and then the football on top won't be that heavy.

and should I make the base of the trophy THEN put the supports in? OR should I be doing it like i see on tv where they build up the RKT around the support?

luv4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv4cake Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:18pm
post #20 of 27

I am also making a trophy with rkt this week, except for soccer. I am finding this thread very helpful and interested in what to use as a support also.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:55pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

I don't have an airbrush...is there something I can use that is similar to Luster Dust that's a spray?

You can still use luster dust. Just buy a spray bottle (you can find them anywere at rite-aid, walmart, walgreens) add your luster dust and add everclear or vodka (I am everclear girl). Shake it up well and spray away!! Ever so often just shake the container to make sure you have a good mix.

I have done this and it works great. Sometimes I just dont feel like dragging the airbrush out for a small project. icon_biggrin.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 9:01pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:

What kind of support should I use inside the trophy stand? I don't think it's going to be THAT huge and then the football on top won't be that heavy.

and should I make the base of the trophy THEN put the supports in? OR should I be doing it like i see on tv where they build up the RKT around the support?

If the trophy is going to stand up on the cake, I suggest making it around a dowel rod, so that all you have to do is insert it into the cake.

It also allows you to cut the support to size if needed. I was shocked icon_eek.gif at how heavy the hand I did recently was. I never expected it to be that heavy. without the dowel it would have never stood upright on the cake without ripping the fondant or toppling off.

I cant wair to see your finished cake !!! icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:13pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Quote:

If the trophy is going to stand up on the cake, I suggest making it around a dowel rod, so that all you have to do is insert it into the cake.

It also allows you to cut the support to size if needed. I was shocked icon_eek.gif at how heavy the hand I did recently was. I never expected it to be that heavy. without the dowel it would have never stood upright on the cake without ripping the fondant or toppling off.

I cant wair to see your finished cake !!! icon_biggrin.gif

this is what I was thinking!

so, i basically need to build up the RKT around the dowel rod instead of trying to bust the dowel rod through? and should I get the dowel in place before doing so?? I see so many people do it on tv but I would just like some insight before going ahead with it. icon_smile.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:34pm
post #24 of 27

I just read a thread last week where the baker added modeling chocolate to her rkt and thought it worked like a dream. She made Pepe le Pew, it was adorable. I can't find the thread right now, but will keep looking.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:

I had exactly the same experience. I thought I just got a "bad" can, but maybe not! Mine didn't even cover an 8" round, and yeah, it was more grey than silver. icon_sad.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:55pm
post #27 of 27

WOW! Thanks deMuralist thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%