Another Cookie Question! Is This Changing The Shape Of...

Baking By GinaGGG Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 12:32pm by cab333

GinaGGG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaGGG Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 11

... my cookies: powdered sugar? The dough I am working with tastes great but is a bit sticky. I have been sprinkling powdered sugar down between each roll (rolling on parchment is NOT working. The paper keeps shifting all around) thinking it would be better then adding flour.

Well, after baking the first round of cookies look great but it seems that as I roll on more sugar, the shapes are changing a bit. Like I looked at a cake-shaped cookie after baking and it was totally distorted from the original cutter's shape.

Thoughts?

10 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 11

I think that you need to use flour instead of the powdered sugar. Also use a spatula that is wide enough to support the shape of your cookie. It also might be the recipe that you are using, if I am correctly understanding what your asking, that might be why they are getting distorted while they bake. A great cookie recipe is the nfsc on here it rolls great and holds its shape while baking

GinaGGG Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 11

I don't think it's the recipe because before I started to use a bunch of powdered sugar, they looked fine. 85% of them baked perfectly, no puffing up and losing shape, etc. It's when I decided to ditch the parchment because it kept moving and sprinkle down powdered sugar that I noticed some unevenness.

I will try to use flour this time. Thanks!!

taniabanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taniabanana Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 11

Usually rerolls keep their shape better because you are working the gluten in the flour by handling it. If you are using a lot of powdered sugar to stop them sticking, it will alter the original recipe and could cause them to spread. Maybe try a mix of flour and ps?

Lesli82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesli82 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 11

I use a blue mat from Wilton to roll out my dough the only thing it is not a big size. My cookies do not stick when transferring them to my cookie sheets. I hope this helps.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 11

I do cookies all the time and use flour. Invest in a non-stick rolling mat. I could not live without it. Cookies dough won't stick and you use less flour. Referigerate your cut-out cookies for at least 15 minutes or until well chilled. Them bake them. It will keep your cookies from spreading out. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

GinaGGG Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 11

Can someone recommend a great nonstick mat to me? I have one of the Wilton ones from cake class and it constantly rolls up on me! So annoying. I'd love to buy a great mat, thanks!

By the way, I made another batch of cookies last night using no ps or flour. I rolled on parchment even though it wanted to keep shifting. Anyway, the cookies never lost shape!

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 11

Can't go wrong with a Sil-pat or better yet the Roul-pat it's much bigger!

GinaGGG Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you!

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 11

As an alternative, I roll my unchilled dough between two sheets of waxed paper. In order to avoid the slipping around, I use a slightly damp paper towel to dampen the surface of my counter under the waxed paper. Be careful not to wet too much or the waxed paper will get soggy and rip, but it's a great time saver to use waxed paper. If the bottom sheet gets wrinkled, I just turn the dough over, reposition the waxed paper and re-roll. If there are small wrinkles in the surface of the dough just use that as the bottom side of your cookies when you cut. Most smooth out in the oven anyway. Good luck!

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:32pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCreativeCookie

As an alternative, I roll my unchilled dough between two sheets of waxed paper. In order to avoid the slipping around, I use a slightly damp paper towel to dampen the surface of my counter under the waxed paper.

Best idea since sliced bread - I love that I can roll, and then stack the sheets of waxed paper into the fridge to chill like that!

Annnnd Less mess = happy me! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%