Sour Cream Icing?

Decorating By BlackFlour Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 12:26am by BlackFlour

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 4

I have a question about sour cream icing. I've had a request for it, and haven't ever used it before. I always use sugarshacks buttercream recipe, because I can viva paper towel it smooth and it just looks pretty! icon_smile.gif (and tastes good!) So does anyone have a sour cream icing recipe that holds up like sugarshacks buttercream? Can I use my buttercream recipe and add like a cup of sour cream to it, and probably a little more ps because it'll be too runny i'm assuming? I'd love to hear any recommendations all of you have! You're always so helpful! TIA!!!!! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
BlackFlour Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 4

Does anyone have any helpful hints or suggestions? I could really use some experienced knowledge! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 4

White sour cream frosting or chocolate? I've made chocolate before and it's very good. The only white sour cream icing I've made had coconut in it and it was pretty runny.

Here's a recipe I found on allrecipes that sounds like it might work, but if you read the reviews it sounds like it might be a little thin. I think that kind of icing is fine for a dessert-type of cake, but not so much for a decorated cake.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sour-Cream-Frosting/Detail.aspx

BlackFlour Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:26am
post #4 of 4

Thank you! I've been looking and it seems like a lot of them have a similar base of a buttercream just with sour cream added and a little more powdered sugar. Sourcream can get so runny though, I wonder what it looks like on the cake in room temperature? It would seem like it would melt?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%