What Type Of Icing Should I Use?

Baking By Chantele Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 5:02pm by yums

Chantele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chantele Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone!

I will be making about 100 cupcakes and one "giant" cupcake cake for my sister in law's wedding. She is getting married in Florida in October. In order to save myself a lot of hassle I plan on using already made icing - possibly Wilton's ready to use. My problem is I tasted Wilton's RTU last night and I didn't like it - blah! I can't stand the taste of ready made icing's and prefer homemade, but since it will be an outside wedding I'd rather not have to deal with buttercream - (don't want it to be a saggy, melty mess!) Normally I would make my own icing, but I have to travel to FL from NC. I'm concerned that the icing won't "turn out" right AND that it will take up a lot of time which I don't have much of...

I will be making the sunflower cupcakes and butterfly cupcakes from the Hello Cupcake! book. I also found a really cute toadstool giant cupcake online which I will be making as well.

Any suggestions on what type of icing (that tastes really yummy and will hold up nicely) I should use?

Chantele

3 replies
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:04am
post #2 of 4

If you want to use pre-made, I've heard the Sam's Club icing is good. You should call ahead and speak to the bakery department to order a tub - they may have to get extra in on their next order so don't wait til the last minute. icon_smile.gif

moringgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moringgal Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 4

I use Wilton's icing but not the little containers. Make sure it's the big one. I add almond flavoring and everyone raves about it.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 4

You could check a the local grocery stores-sometimes the bakeries will sell their icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%