How Do I Save My Cake Dummies?

Decorating By anxietyattack Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 5:47am by mamawrobin

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:27am
post #1 of 17

My sweet babydoll of a husband bought me a set of cake dummies and now that I have them I feel like I'm at a loss!

I've heard of some decorators covering their dummies in saran or something like it so that they can keep reusing them.

Does anyone have any tips for me? What should I use to try and cover them with?

Thanks in advance!!!

16 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:45am
post #2 of 17

i just use my regular buttercream (w/o the flavoring) and satin ice fondant to cover them.. When i want to change them i just soak them in some warm water for a bit and the icing/fondant comes right off. If the buttercream has had time to dry completely i can usually just slide a butter knife under it and it will pop off. Wash it in warm water with a little soap and it's good to go.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:55am
post #3 of 17

If you just cover them in crisco and then fondant the fondant is really easy to remove when you're done. Then just pop them in the dishwaher to clean.

anxietyattack Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:20am
post #4 of 17

Oh! So I don't have to cover them with something? I can just rewash the styrofoam straight up? Awesome!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:24am
post #5 of 17

Yup, I just use crisco...helps smooth them out and makes it easy to remove the fondant after.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:45am
post #6 of 17

i should specify, i don't use the buttercream under the fondant, just like what the other said, crisco (or water) just needs something to stick too.

I wasn't sure if you were wanting to use buttercream or fondant.

anxietyattack Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 17

awesome. thanks guys!!!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 17

If the fondant stays on the cakes until it is rock hard, it becomes more difficult to remove it, even with crisco. The dummies can be placed in the dishwasher to clean up. They come out spotless.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 17

I don't cover them with plastic wrap. That sounds like a total PITA. Hot water wash and they're good to go again. And again.

frogcooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogcooke Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:07pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

If the fondant stays on the cakes until it is rock hard, it becomes more difficult to remove it, even with crisco. The dummies can be placed in the dishwasher to clean up. They come out spotless.

what kind of styrofoam material are these made out of that you can put in the dishwasher? icon_confused.gif

dsilvest Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:21pm
post #11 of 17

Regular white styrofoam for dummies not the really hard fine textured kind for crafts.

frogcooke Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:29pm
post #12 of 17

oh kinda like that styrofoam form pieces they use around packing tvs/comps/etc?ike the mannequin heads?

dsilvest Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:30pm
post #13 of 17

Yes

frogcooke Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:32pm
post #14 of 17

oh ok. haha. I've just never heard of putting it in the dishwasher. Not that I think I've ever had an excuse to put styrofoam in a dishwasher...

anxietyattack Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks guys for all the help!!! Hopefully now I can practice a lot more and get better with my decorating.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 10:42pm
post #16 of 17

You can definitely use the craft/floral styrofoam for dummies and they can be put in the dishwasher and re-used.

I do it all the time--I acutally prefer that type of styro to the pebble foam.

Rae

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:47am
post #17 of 17

I 'paint' on a thin coat of shortening before covering with fondant or buttercream. It makes for an easier clean up when I'm ready to change designs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%