Ace Of Cakes Products At Michael's

Decorating By AmeliaIslandLaura Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 1:38am by LEHLA

AmeliaIslandLaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmeliaIslandLaura Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:27am
post #1 of 12

Hi all!
I hadn't been to the Wilton aisle of Michael's in a long time, so I was surprised to see that a good chunk of space had been taken over by a line of cake decorating products by Duff of Ace of Cakes (Charm City Bakery). There was everything from cake mix (at around nine dollars a box!!!) to fondant to pans. Some of it looked really cool and I am tempted to try the fondant to see how it tastes and looks.
Has anyone used these products? Any feedback?
Thanks!
Laura

11 replies
pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:44am
post #2 of 12

I don't like the fondant. It doesn't get dry! I had a chunk of it, and put it on my windowsill, and 2 weeks later it was still pliable!!! I kept checking it every couple of days,... I was waiting to see how long it would take to dry... It didn't dry. so after 3 weeks or so, I just threw it out. His stuff is way too expensive, I'm not buying any of it.

tomswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomswife Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:45am
post #3 of 12

It is just fondarific fondant, alot of people say it is too soft, even with a little tylose. I would not pay the money, as you can get it on line for much cheaper, even when you include the 40% off online coupon. I bought the silver spray paint on Friday, I was quite impressed - very sparkly and fun. Hope that helps. : )

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:49am
post #4 of 12

yes I also tried his black fondant & I'm sure it would be nice to cover a cake, but even with tylose added it would not firm up for accents I needed to be firm. It tasted ok. At least I had a coupon. Will definitely stick with Satin Ice for my black fondant.
I did buy some impression mats & like them.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:00am
post #5 of 12

there was another thread on this subject but not sure what it was titled try searching Duff

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 12

now that his show has been pulled I wonder what will happen to his product line?

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 12

Black fondant is awesome for very sturdy pieces, just roll it thin, cut our your shapes and pop in fridge for a few minutes, then pick it up and place it on the cake and it will keep it's shape beautifully! Very sharp and it doesnt stretch!

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:20am
post #8 of 12

I bought the little swirled wires to put at the top of a cake, and wasn't too impressed. They weren't pliable and were not as good looking as I had envisioned. The other stuff looks cute, but I think its the snazzy packaging. LOL

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:36am
post #9 of 12

I used the black and the chocolate over the weekend (first time using Duff). They both were VERY soft, almost greasey feeling but easy to work with. I wasn't covering the cake--just making accent pieces (cow print & rope).

The chocolate was really tastey. The black was good but not noticeably better than the Satin Ice I usually use.

Kristy

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:39am
post #10 of 12

In a pinch, I buy Duff's s fondant with a 50% off coupon which makes it more affordable. I think it works fine. I did find the brown fondant to be very hard so I had to microwave it for a few seconds to soften it up. Sometimes I mix this fondant with Wilton. I used to love Satin Ice but it I found that the texture has changed.
I want to try some of his icing sheets (with a coupon). They look pretty cool.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:01am
post #11 of 12

The ornaments in my pics are covered in Duffs fondant (I was practicing and too lazy to make MMF). I really liked the flavor (as I ate all 5 ornaments over the weekend lol) and it was easy to work with. The tops of the ornaments and the snowflakes are also his fondant, it worked well and the loops stayed erect.

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:38am
post #12 of 12

Iam not a fan of the fondant it doesnt dry well at all!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%