Can I Soften Fondant Cutouts?

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 1:52am by Kaylani

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a number of fondant cutouts for a cake due Friday. I really need to cut them out tonight, but last time I made them ahead they didn't "wrap" around the cake well since they were hard.

Is it possible to microwave the decorations for a short time to soften when I go to apply or do you think this will ruin them?

TIA icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 5

I had to soften harden cutouts once. I just put them in a plastic container with a lightly damp paper towel and closed the lid. The next day they were soft again. Just make sure the towel is far enough from the cutouts, perhaps put it on a little plate to keep it away from the fondant. I had a couple touch the cloth and they just got all gooey.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 5

I put my fondant cut outs in a zip lock bag, and I did these a few weeks ahead of time. They were a little stiff, but still moldable around the cake, in fact, they were easier to place on that way. I think you could microwave, but only a few seconds. Thats what I was going to do on my cake, but didn't need to.

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:25am
post #4 of 5

I've done the same as cathycakes. I've also put the cutouts between plastic wrap (loosly over them, but pressed tight around the sides). I then placed them in a plastic container... they stayed soft and didnt stick to the plastic when I took them out... HTH

TammyH

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:52am
post #5 of 5

I ran into this by accident over the weekend. We took a few extra fondant cutouts with us on the delivery. We were in a hurry & grabbed a plastic container & stuck the lid on.

Luckily, we didnt need to repair anything on delivery.
icon_wink.gif

It is about 95 degrees here & 100 percent humidity. When we got home we opened the container to clean it and there was condensation built up & our cutouts were funky sticky. icon_eek.gif

Happy Caking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%