How Much Fondant Would I Need?

Baking By MariaK38 Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 12:11am by MariaK38

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 4

Hi! I need to make fondant plaques for 200 cupcakes. I'll be using circles and squares, possibly hearts. The bottom layer will be about 2", roughly half the size of the top of the cupcake. The middle layer will be a little smaller than that, and a letter will be the third layer. I haven't worked with fondant very much, and I don't know how much I need. I'll be ordering Fondarific white wedding buttercream so I can color it, except for the black and brown.
While I'm here, which Americolor colors would I use to make the fondant sage green and champagne colored?

Thanks!

3 replies
MariaK38 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 4

oh, I forgot to post earlier that there will be 5 different flavors of cupcakes... each cupcake will have its own color/design of fondant plaque. So in the end, I'll probably use about the same amount of each color since I'm mixing them up.

Thanks!

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 4

I would suggest making one complete decoration for one cupcake if you have fondant or gumpaste at home, and then weigh it and multiply that by 200 and add a bit more for 'just in case'. If you don't have any at home I work on about 20g of fondant to cover 1 cupcake without decoration. I'm not sure if that will help.

As for sage green, I would try avocado in Americolor.

MariaK38 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:11am
post #4 of 4

that does help, thank you very much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%