Using Filling With Whipping Cream. Refrigerated?

Decorating By au_decorator_76 Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 1:52am by au_decorator_76

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 7

I know y'all get tired of this question. I'm really worried about it though and have always been "by the books" so need an answer. icon_wink.gif

I'm making a cake and wanted to use this filling
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2543/chocolate-kahlua-filling

This will be my first fondant covered cake and I know that I'm not supposed to refrigerate fondant but it sounds like the filling needs to stay cool. It won't all be eaten today. So... how do I deal? Do I need to find another filling?

6 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 7

I make a similar filling for almost all of my cakes. Almost every picture in my photos is a cake with whipped cream filling. The recipe you posted is a little confusing. I don't know why they would add 1/3 cup sugar to that amount of whipping cream when you are adding a box of pudding. My mousse recipe uses two cups heavy whipping cream one small box instant vanilla pudding whip until peaks form. I would just add the tablespoon of Kahlua during the whipping process. This mousse holds up wonderfully. I have never had any issues. The blue tiered cake in my photos sat out for four hours. I always refrigerate my cakes so putting decorated cakes in the fridge is not an issue for me. I have never had any problems when refrigerating fondant cakes.

au_decorator_76 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 7

OK awesome! Thank you so much for the answer. I will put it in the fridge when done.

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 7

I know a lot of cakers have issues with putting the cakes in the fridge, but I use this filling, and several others with heavy cream and refrigerate all the time without an issue. Just watch the condensation - box if you can if that is not an option, just leave it alone for a little while when you take it out of the fridge. HTH

au_decorator_76 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:29am
post #5 of 7

Would it do better in an airtight cake container?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:51am
post #6 of 7

That would work, anything that can cover it until it comes to room temp. Then you won't have any condensation on the fondant.

au_decorator_76 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:52am
post #7 of 7

Wonderful! Thank you for the quick replies everyone. I appreciate it. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%