How Do I Get Wilton Gumpaste To Work?

Decorating By AngelinaMomof3 Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 3:50am by cheatize

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 13

I bought a can and I'm trying to make leaves for a tree topper. The fondant ones are not drying good in this heat and humidity. When I put the leaves on the top of the tree they sag no matter what I try. I've tried royal icing and I rigged up a big system of paper towels and paper towel tubes..lol I mixed half of the can and only added in half of the water and then 20 minutes later half of the powdered sugar that it calls for, for a whole can.. The outside is nice and smooth but as soon as I break a piece off.... it's a sticky mess.. Anyone else have this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!
Angelina

12 replies
thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 13

I don't know much about the wilton's powder gumpaste. I have used the ready made stuff and didn't like that either. I have a recipe from Nicholas Lodge that I really like. You could just add some tylose to your fondant, let it cure and use that too. icon_smile.gif

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 13

Would you share it with me? I am ready scrap the idea of a tree and do something different.. lol

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 13

are you sure you don't have the can of gum-tex, the recipe for gumpaste is on the back of that can.

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 13

Uh huh. Positive. It says 'Gum paste mix' Easy to use, just add water, mix and knead- then mold into gorgeous flowers and decorations. Complete instructions on back. I didn't want to get the ready made because I wanted to make half of this can and didn't want to waste any from the ready made bags.. It's gum paste mix. The instructions on the back are how to prepare the gum paste.. I did it exactly only cut everything in half. It's sticky and looks like a mashed up glue stick.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 13

Never had any luck with gumpaste mixes or premixed. I also use Nicholas Lodge's recipe. Just posted it on here last week.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6901461-.html#6901461

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 13

Well, I know better now..lol Least I got 50% by using a michaels coupon.

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you for the recipe!!!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 13

I love the pre-made gum paste. You don't really waste any of it because you can just store it. Use what you need and save the rest. I wrap whatever scraps I haven't used in plastic wrap and put in an airtight container. Use Crisco on your work space and roller. I've never mixed any so I can't help you there. Are you letting your decor dry long enough? How thick is it? The thinner an item is, the faster it dries and you can get gum paste very thin as opposed to fondant which I find breaks easier.

When I cut a chunk of gum paste off, I not only knead it, I stretch it until it's good and pliable. I also add color and knead that in well.
You would do better to buy the pre-made stuff in my opinion. You'll at least know what the consistency is supposed to be in case you want to mix another batch sometime.
Good luck.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 13

I had problems with the wilton's gum tex. It wouldn't dry and then as it was drying it would crack all over and pieces would break off. Don't like that stuff at all. I bought CK gum paste powder and it works pretty well.

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:02am
post #11 of 13

I haven't been able to mold anything out of it yet. I mixed it in the bowl like it said then turn it out to need it. But when I turn it out to need it it's almost like it melts.. Have you ever put a bunch of cornstarch in water and touched it? You poke it hard and it tenses and you can't put your finger through it, but if you touch it gently your finger sinks in like it's water.. That's what this is doing. I have now tried it two ways.. Mixing the powdered sugar in after waiting for 15-20 minutes and mixing it in right away. It's just globby.

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:04am
post #12 of 13

knead not need.. See what it's done to me? lol

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:50am
post #13 of 13

Have you tried kneading in more of the powder?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%