Cake Pricing

Decorating By Lizmybit Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 8:36pm by Lizmybit

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 10

I wasn't really sure what forum to put this in...if this is the wrong place please feel free to move it.

I have a friend that wants me to make her wedding cake this fall. She wants a small Tiered cake 2 tiers wrapped like presents. Then she wants individual Petit fours or individual cakes wrapped like presents for each guest. About 150.

Because she's a good friend I will give her a big discount...but Not even where to start the pricing.

Thanks in advance

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 10

Have you ever made Petite fours? If not, I'd give it a go around before I even think about how to price them. icon_wink.gif

Lizmybit Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 10

Yep, I've made them. I'm not worried about that...it's just I've never made them to sell. Just for family use.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 10

Waiting for the legal/not legal frenzy to begin...(hoping it won't)

Lizmybit Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 10

I'm sorry Cakesdevine...what?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 10

Figure out how much it is going to cost you, how much time you are looking at, and how much space you need to store all of this. Also keep in mind how you are packaging everything. Those 150 little things have to go into something to hand them out, that adds up.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

LOL icon_biggrin.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

HA! I hope you killed it before it starts. In my opinion it's really not necessary when people bring that up. I'm sure most folks on CC are aware if they are legally allowed to sell cakes in their area or not. Doesn't stop you from wondering how much you COULD make if you were able to sell.

I would think, even with a discount, $3-4 per petite four would be reasonable (including cost of individual boxes) and $1.50 per slice of cake. That's about the best discount you can give someone for all that hard work. I'm totally not familiar with pricing in your area....just throwing out some numbers.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 10

While the issue of whether you can legally sell cakes is always important, there's also the issue that if you are unlicensed and uninsured the venue might not let you in.

The way I work out a discount price is to cost the making of the cake. Then cost my time - usually it's about £6 an hour, £4 an hour is my standard discount. But it's up to you how little you want to work for. I don't think any of my friends would get 150 petit fours or mini cakes! She could have a 6 tier extravaganza and send home slices of cake instead!
xx

Lizmybit Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 10

I've got you. Actually I am a professional chef, with a food safety and sanitation certificate from the state. The venue my friend is having for her reception (which is in another state) only requires the food safety certificate for me to do her cake. Thank you all for the advice. We have yet to decide on display. I was thinking of building a cake stand that would hold the cake at the top and the petit fours on separate tiers under it. Again the cost is a factor. I would buy a display if I knew for sure I'd be doing more of these.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%