How Long Will Sleeve Filling Last In A Cake???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm by JohnnyCakes1966

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Cakers!

I purhased Sharon Z. DVD "Back to Basics". In this DVD she mentions sleeve fillings . She says something along the lines that you can use these fillings in a cake and do not have to place in a fridge. The fillings can last a couple days without fridge, if in a cake.

My question. How long can I go with a filling in a cake without placing in the fridge.

I pm'd Sharon, but I think she is out of town for the ICES convetion??
I have Bavarion (Spelling??) cream that I am going to use in a cake.

Thank you in advance..

Michael

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 7

I never refridgerated my cakes and I use nothing but sleeve fillings

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

How long do you leave them in a cake before the event?

Thanks
Michael

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 7

I love the sleeve filling and use them all the time. For my family they have been in the cake up to 6 days between the time decorating it and the time until the last piece was finished with no problems. Once I open them I put the leftover sleeve into a ziploc bag and have left it on the shelf for a few months before using again.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 7

I've never used sleeve fillings, but am curious about them. Do you spread them on the cake right out of the bag (inside a dam, of course) or do you add anything to them? Are they the consistency of jelly? Pudding? Pie filling? I'm wondering if they hold their shape or if they run when the cake has been cut? Thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

How long do you leave them in a cake before the event?

I've made cakes on Thursday for a Saturday event. This stuff lasts forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

I've never used sleeve fillings, but am curious about them. Do you spread them on the cake right out of the bag (inside a dam, of course) or do you add anything to them? Are they the consistency of jelly? Pudding? Pie filling? I'm wondering if they hold their shape or if they run when the cake has been cut? Thanks!

Yes, I squeeze them straight out of the bag and onto the cake.... don't add anything to them. Sometimes I'll mix the raspberry with chocolate icing for an AWESOME choc-raspberry filling!

They are not like jelly. (I don't even eat jelly doughnuts because jelly in a baked good like that is just nasty, in my mind!). I'd say it was closer to the glaze found in pie fillings or the strawberry glaze you find in the store during strawberry shortcake season. It does not run when the cake is cut.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks Debi! I'm working on a chocolate/raspberry cake for Thursday, so I'm glad you mentioned that. I usually make my own raspberry filling (and curds, etc) which is kind of similar to the strawberry glaze you mentioned, but it takes a while. The sleeves would save a good bit of time! I hope I can find seedless though! I can't stand seeds in my fillings and always strain them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%