Do You Use Mmf For Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By APCakes Updated 2 Sep 2005 , 12:42am by smediagirl

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 6

I'm just trying to decide whether to use MMF or home-made fondant for a large wedding cake coming up. I've been making my own fondant and I'm happy with it, but MMF would be so much cheaper! I've only made MMF once, and I liked it a lot, but I'm wondering how it will compare to regular fondant for a wedding. The reception will be inside, just FYI. I'm just a little nervous about using MMF for such a big cake (5 tiers).

What would you do? Thanks!!

5 replies
Sangria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangria Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 6

So far I have not found any fondant that tastes really good. I'd love to hear which is best, or what recipe you use.

The marshmallow is okay, but seems like it is more for a birthday cake. I'd like to find something more suited for a wedding cake. It's just too sweet.

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 6

I would. Used it for the large 3 tiered anniversary cake in my photos and didn't have a single complaint. There were people who just ate the cake and left the MMF, but you will find that with *any* fondant. Actually the thought of *not* using it for wedding cakes hadn't even occurred to me.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 6

I too have used it on a wedding cake and I got great feedback. I wouldn't hesitate to use it, as 4bugzinarug said, no matter which brand or flavor of fondant, it will probably just be peeled off and not eaten, as I think it is the texture that the people don't like, not so much the flavor.

I guess people just don't like to chew their icing.

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 6

Good point, luv2cake! I think that's what bugs me about it too (chewing your icing - ha ha), but everyone loves the way it looks enough that they all still want it.
I'll do a little taste test again and try to decide. If they taste and feel the same, then I'll just go with the less expensive one - MMF. Unless anyone can think of any reason NOT to use it for a wedding cake! icon_smile.gif

smediagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smediagirl Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 12:42am
post #6 of 6

I used it on the dragon fly cake in my bio and when it was left out to room temp, after a couple of hours it just melted in our mouthes when we ate it. It was great. Everyone loved it, which is crazy that people liked it, I actually pu in almond flavoring and it was great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%