Why Is Cake Dense In Certain Parts?

Baking By hasridwan Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 2:03pm by sillywabbitz

hasridwan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hasridwan Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:35am
post #1 of 6

I'm fairly new to cake baking and decorating but recently I've tried a recipe for a yellow cake that just doesn't turn out right. When I cut through the cake there are appears to be lines of the cake that are denser then the rest of the cake...almost still looks like thick batter in those places. The rest of the cake looks fine and tastes great. ANy ideas as to why I'm getting those dense layers? Thanks in Advance for your responses!

5 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:48am
post #2 of 6

How long are you mixing your batter for? Are you using a scratch recipe or a box mix? I haven't had the problem but I'm wondering if some ingredients are "clumping together" to cause that effect. Do you sift your dry ingredients? Maybe try sifting them together.
I've read a lot about getting your eggs to room temp too, so you might try that.

Good luck.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:54am
post #3 of 6

If you're using a boxed mix, you need to break up the clumps of dry mix before adding wet ingredients. If you get the whole thing mixed and there are "chunks" in your batter, those clumps will bake differently and be really wierd in texture and chewy.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:10am
post #4 of 6

Almost sounds like it could have baked a little longer. Did it settle a little after you took it out of the oven?

hasridwan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hasridwan Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 6

I'm not using a box mix...it's from scratch. Maybe I need to sift the dry ingredients...haven't been doing that icon_redface.gif! I don't think it's underbaked though. I'm always afraid of overmixing...as I've heard that causes problems as well. Maybe I need to mix more. Thanks for your suggestions!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 6

Hopefully a scratch baker will pop in. Doctored box mixes recommend mixing for 2 minutes. I'm paranoid about over mixing as well so I set a timericon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%