Foam Board Food Safe?

Decorating By Charmed Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 8:06pm by Charmed

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:57am
post #1 of 12

Is foam board food safe? can I put it between cake layers . I am making a purse cake and every 3 layer of cake I want to dowel and put foam board cut to shape between cake layers. should the foam board be covered with with something?

11 replies
DiviniDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiviniDee Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:10am
post #2 of 12

Yes! Cover the foam board! Who knows what may have been climbing on or in it before you bought it. Always be on the safe side!

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:15am
post #3 of 12

What should I cover the cake board with?
I find if I use tinfoil on my boards.. it cuts and leaves pieces of foil when serving/cutting the cake?

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:18am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezdelights

What should I cover the cake board with?
I find if I use tinfoil on my boards.. it cuts and leaves pieces of foil when serving/cutting the cake?

I always use freezer paper to wrap the boards.
Tammie

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:46am
post #5 of 12

I always wrap mine with fancy foil.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:28am
post #6 of 12

Wrap the foamcore with press and seal wrap. It's tough, not bulky, and doesn't come up like foil when you cut the cake.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:04am
post #7 of 12

I don't think I'd use foamcore between layers...seems a bit too thick. Just use cardboard and wrap it with freezer wrap. Freezer wrap is sturdy, easy to clean and it is moisture proof. And it's a lot less expensive than Press n Seal. I cover all my cake circles and boards with it. Shiny side up remember.

Texas_Rose Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:23am
post #8 of 12

The freezer wrap that I see in the stores here is like brown paper with a plastic side. Is that what y'all are talking about using or is it something else?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:33am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

The freezer wrap that I see in the stores here is like brown paper with a plastic side. Is that what y'all are talking about using or is it something else?

No. It's in the supermarket section where all the foil wrap, parchment paper and press-n-seal is. It's white and comes in a large, long roll. Shiny white on one side and matte white on the other. It's called Freezer Wrap. Usually on one of the bottom shelves so look around.

Texas_Rose Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:40am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

No. It's in the supermarket section where all the foil wrap, parchment paper and press-n-seal is. It's white and comes in a large, long roll. Shiny white on one side and matte white on the other. It's called Freezer Wrap. Usually on one of the bottom shelves so look around.

That's good to know! My mom has a roll and it's brown so I assumed the box I see at the store would be like that...but who knows how long my mom has had that particular box? icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #11 of 12

You can get 1/4" foamcore...no thicker than the cardboard and LOTS sturdier! I use 1/2" for bases, and 1/4" for the smaller tiers.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 12

thank you all for your help thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%