Does This Cake Look Hard To Do? Help Asap, Please!

Decorating By rkei Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 3:21am by ninatat

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 10

I'm doing a cake for my lil sister's 2nd birthday tomorrow. Vanilla cake, Chocolate Bc. I just looked at this cake. How do I do it? Does it look hard? Do I get a large flower cookie cutter and make an outline, line it, and fill it with stars? And, will it look okay on brown icing? the cake MUST have choc icing. Help!

here's the link to the cake:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1758847

9 replies
kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 10

Ok, really easy if you're not a complete beginner. Using chocolate would look good if you stick with one color flower, I think. Pink & brown is very "in" now, so I would do chocolate frosting with pink flowers and yellow centers. I think your plan sounds the best: cookie cutter, outline with a #3 and then fill with stars.

susieqhomemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieqhomemaker Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 10

I've done this cake before (sorry no picture) and I used a cookie cutter to make the impression, outline, and fill in with stars. I agree with the above poster about sticking with one color flower...I like the pink and brown suggestion. icon_smile.gif

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 10

I would go with different shades of one color (ie: light pink, medium pink, and a dark pink).

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 10

Oh yeah, you can do this. Cookie cutter, outline with a tip #3, and then the stars you can use a #16 (smaller) or #18 (larger) Wilton also has a #233 that does 3 stars at one time to save on time. The greenery is a tip #3 or #5, and the leaves are a #352 (I think I got most of those right). I LOVE the pink and brown idea. Maybe even 3 different shades of the same kind of pink to add a little depth. Good luck!

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:30am
post #6 of 10

I did this same cake, it's in my profile pics, did it for course 1. I did it exactly the same way as others suggested. Though I would try the gel colours instead of the normal liquid food colouring. It will make the pink bright/bold against the chocolate icing, and will stand out more. icon_smile.gif

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:39am
post #7 of 10

Hey Spectra- how did you do the scrolls on your profile pic? Are they all freehand or is there an impression/cutter thing to guide you?

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:52am
post #8 of 10

The one in my profile pic is freehand, did it for my final cake, but I found out after there is a scroll or vine type impression set that I bought at Michael's, it's from Wilton. Here is a link to the Wilton site that uses the vine impression press:

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Lasting-Impressions

And here is the link to the actual set:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2104-3160

It's really handy to make pretty designs on a cake that are uniform. icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:07am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

I would go with different shades of one color (ie: light pink, medium pink, and a dark pink).

I like that idea.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:21am
post #10 of 10

i'd also go with the pastel colors, and if you have the pink cutter set you can just press in your pattern, or do a piping gel transfer, isn't the star tip, you can use the 3 star tip to, and made sure not to use the wilton leaf tips, i can't remember the #actually i'm just to lazy to get up and go look, it 300 something

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%