Quick Question On Freezing Dough And Freezing Baked Cookies

Baking By Phyllis52 Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 10:12pm by Wendl

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 12

Can you freeze cookie dough for a few weeks, bake the cookies and then freeze the baked cookies? Someone questioned me about it at work and then when I thought about it, I wasn't sure. I think it will be fine.......but what do you guys think? icon_confused.gif

11 replies
Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 12

You should be able to freeze the dough and cookies with no problems.
I freeze alot of my cookies around christmas time because I bake so many. It keeps them fresh until I am ready to hand them out. Just make sure they are sealed well in ziploc freezer bags or an air tight container.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 12

I also freeze my dough and cookies around the holidays. Haven't had any problems. I double wrap the dough in plastic wrap or have it in a container.

Phyllis52 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you Tiffany26 and keystone!!! thumbs_up.gif

I thought so, but when someone questions you, then you double think yourself. I'll let her know for future reference.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 12

Your welcome!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 12

I freeze cookie dough, baked cookies, and decorated cookies and have never had a problem.

Phyllis52 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you luv2bake6 -

She was trying to tell me that if I froze the dough, defrosted it and then baked and froze the same baked cookies it wasn't a good thing to do.

Thanks guys.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 12

But did she know WHY ..... or was she just repeating some wives tale?

From the USDA website, http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/focus_on_freezing/index.asp :
Refreezing
Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion. Freeze leftovers within 3-4 days. Do not refreeze any foods left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours; 1 hour in temperatures above 90 °F.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly.

Raw cookie dough and baked cookies are two different products and would fall into the part (in the above paragraph) about "....it is safe to freeze the COOKED foods".

I have re-frozen thawed foods for my family for years with no problems. (Never did it with the catering biz.) The whole issue revolves around foods dropping below a food-safe temperature and giving bacteria the opportunity to grow.

Phyllis52 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 12

Wow, indydebi -

That's such a great website. I'm planning to print that out - so much I didn't know (and I will of course give a copy to my friend at work). I'm thinking she "assumed" it wouldn't be a good thing - nothing to back it up with.

I should have known you would know! You're such a wealth of information.

Thanks again!!
Phyllis thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 12

It's odd, but while I was never a "hippies protester of the 60's", I DID teach my children to always question ... always, always, always. They'd come home with some silly crap a friend had told them, and I'd ask them, "Are they smarter than you? Then what makes you think they know more than you? Did you ask them WHY (or HOW).....?"

LIke the corn syrup commercial ...... people cite what they've heard but they don't know WHY they're saying it. And when pushed with the "what, who, when, why" questions, they've no idea. thumbs_up.gif

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:00pm
post #11 of 12

indydebi I was taught the same thing. If I have doubts always ask why. I've never been afraid to question authority.

I'm glad to read some of these posts. I'm dying to try cookies and decorating them and gathering as much info as I can beforehand.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 12

Cool, then, I can bake up some sugar cookies and pre-decorate them with the basics and freeze then I can pull 'em, thaw 'em and finish the not-freeze-thaw-friendly decorations close to the time of dispensing!
Granted, I have many months before I need them, but I can do a test batch before then to make sure...these are going to be cookies for a Mardi Gras Krewe I'm in, so yeah, I have time to do a test run.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%