Milk And Cake Baking

Baking By texastj Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm by indydebi

texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:42am
post #1 of 4

I am somewhat a novice when it comes to cake baking. I've been doing a lot of research lately but have yet to find the info that I am looking for regarding this topic. I would like to know what effects does various milks have when baking a cake? For instance what if I used heavy cream vs whole milk. How would that change the taste and texture of the cake? Or what if I used buttermilk instead of whole milk. Would that make a cake more moist? Evaporated milk, half and half.......so many milks so little answers. I love making moist, flavorful cakes and would like to know what milk to use to achieve this. I would greatly appreciate any advice reagarding this subject.

Thanx

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 4
texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 4

Wow!!!!! I feel like I was just answered by a celebrity cheficon_biggrin.gif Thanx Indy so much! I was unable to visit the link. Would you be able to post it again?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 4

well crap! No idea why that didn't print right and now I can't find it again! icon_cry.gif I did a search for "effects of different milks in cake baking". I think it was a 911baking.com link.

What I remember is that some milk have a higher acidity and different levels of fat. buttermilk gives a lighter crumb while adding sour cream gives it more moisture.

I'll keep looking!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%