Baking Business...

Business By baycheeks1 Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 11:37pm by baycheeks1

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:48am
post #1 of 14

For those of you that have a store front how did you know it was time for you to open a storefront? I mean how did you really, really know?

Thanks...

13 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:16am
post #2 of 14

Two years later when the customers are still coming in and the lights are still on. whew.

I should note that as I type this I am procrastinating just a bit from finishing up the 3 wedding cakes due tomorrow after being here since 10am Thursday morning (it's currently 10:15 Saturday night) with one 2 and one 3 hour break for sleep. I'll be ecstatic if I am home at midnight. Still want a storefront? lol

baycheeks1 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 14

I actually do...I mean I'd still be up that late...if not later trying to get stuff done...so the answer, Yes...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 14

Write that business plan. The research you do for the writing will tell you whether or not its the right time to open a biz/storefront. I've been tempted twice, written two biz plans and cancelled the move both times.

baycheeks1 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 14

Yeah, that dang BP is a difficult part...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 14

Let's see . . .which is really more difficult . . . writing a thorough Biz Plan or opening a business at the wrong time/wrong location/with the wrong product mix/with wrong pricing and losing everything you own or put up for the financing and end up bankrupt and still in debt?

baycheeks1 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 14

I know owning and operating a business is the more difficult part, I'm just saying writing the BP is difficult too. I'm not just some person that thinks...Hmm, think I'll open a business with no planning involved! I know it takes extra hard work and time, plus money, lots of it, to open a productive and successful business. These are things I know. I know how to put in hard work even when it's not always getting a return when I think it should or at all.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 14

I'm working on my BP right now so, yeah, it's not fun. The good part is that I know my numbers inside out and it looks promising.

Question: I know it will take hard work too but working for 3 days straight and only a couple of breaks...I don't want to do that. I would rather hire a part-time person if it was so busy so that 1. I don't get burned out and 2. to make sure quality is still high. I hear of so many shop owners who put in the long hours and do the cleaning, the prep, etc. Why aren't we hiring someone? There are gov't programs to get people working and they pay subsidies. Someone could do the cleaning for you and that person would be back in the workforce after eg. prison, disability, etc. It seems like a win-win situation to me. Sorry to be off topic.

DiviniDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiviniDee Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:47am
post #9 of 14

I have been open for a year now. My legs are covered in veins I never had before and believe it or not you can have double bags under your eyes. My family hates my shop because I never have time to be anywhere else, even with two full time employees and a part timer, I am exhausted and on my way back up there now to work on a bow for a 10 AM cake tomorrow. But first I have to put my kids to bed. I really think I made a mistake. I am making money and having fun but at what cost. I didn't realize the stress, time, paperwork, and support hose I was getting into. Good Luck!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:18am
post #10 of 14

I (like Leah) have looked into it several times. I never come up with enough good reasons for a storefront. I legally bake from my licensed home kitchen, I have an LLC, registered name, everything BUT the storefront. I am able to take off when I want, I do not HAVE to take a cake order if I choose not to. (no bridezillas for me!) I truely have the best of both worlds. I have a cake business, just not the headache and overhead that a storefront would cause. I do cakes because I LIKE doing them. I think that situation would change quickly if I HAD to take every order to keep the lights on. Just my 2 cents.

baycheeks1 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:44am
post #11 of 14

I understand what each of you have said...busy is soo the word for it. At this point in my life, I dont have kids, not married and dont look to be for a while (and you're probably saying, if you ever want to be dont do it). So I do have time, and a restuarant and/or bakery are what I have wanted since being a child. So, I'm not naive to the fact that it takes time and hard work, just trying to make sure its the right time.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:30am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I (like Leah) have looked into it several times. I never come up with enough good reasons for a storefront. I legally bake from my licensed home kitchen, I have an LLC, registered name, everything BUT the storefront. I am able to take off when I want, I do not HAVE to take a cake order if I choose not to. (no bridezillas for me!) I truely have the best of both worlds. I have a cake business, just not the headache and overhead that a storefront would cause. I do cakes because I LIKE doing them. I think that situation would change quickly if I HAD to take every order to keep the lights on. Just my 2 cents.

A friend of mine actually clsoed down her store front and made the move to a legal home kitchen and is a thousand times happier. It takes the pressure off of having to meet your bottom line every month....Im totally in as well.... store fronts are expensive....

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:05pm
post #13 of 14

I never could have had a storefront shop when my kids were little, plus I owned a dance studio when they were little which was perfect actually. I was home all day while they were at school. I could be classroom volunteer at their schools, go eat lunch with them and so forth. They had no choice but to be dancers too because they came with me to the studio each afternoon. Yes they were studio brats...LOL! But, it was great.

I have done the "storefront' thing twice and both times worked longer and harder than I ever had, (both times cafe/restaurant along with the bakery). It was very exhausting.

Right now I own a dance studio, do custom cakes only, and work a part time day job. The day job just recently went to part time last month. Actually liking the extra time I have to work on my cake biz. I don't know how to not be super busy. I get bored easily if I am not working at something.

Tonight we start our fall classes at the studio. Classes begin at 4pm and end tonight at 9:45. I teach all the classes tonight. I have Friday's off at the studio to bake & decorate.

I totally admire those who can do their cake biz AND deal with small children. I know I personally could have never done that. You rock even if it drains you. Don't let guilt get you. That is just crazy. Do what you know is in the best interest of your family. And in today's economy, bringing in extra cash is probably what is best at this moment.

baycheeks1 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:37pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks for the comments...The whole business is rollin round in my mind...so eventually it will come to fruition...will just take a little bit of time...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%