Help!! My Ganache Won't Whip!!

Baking By awestervelt Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 1:15am by PiccoloChellie

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 5

I made chocolate ganache yesterday and let it sit overnight. I went to whip it this evening and it won't whip!! What am I doing wrong? Am I going to have to start all over???

4 replies
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 5

What ratio did you use? Dark, milk, or white chocolate?

What are the conditions in your kitchen? (hot, humid, etc)

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:42am
post #3 of 5

I used 8oz of heavy cream to 12 oz of chocolate. I used semi-sweet chocolate. My kithchen is on the cool side.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:45am
post #4 of 5

good mixture..if you want a filling. is ganache cool or room temp? Sometimes putting the ganache in the fridge for 20-30 mins really helps or add more chocolate.

hint.. 3/4 cup hc to 12 oz. choc. give a frosting consistancy.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:15am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestervelt

I used 8oz of heavy cream to 12 oz of chocolate. I used semi-sweet chocolate. My kithchen is on the cool side.

A little low on the chocolate to get a "perfect" whipping consistency. For dark (or semisweet!) chocolate, you should use a 2:1 ratio (16oz chocolate, 8oz cream). For milk & white it's a 3:1 ratio (24oz chocolate, 8oz cream). Adjust as needed - twice as much chocolate to cream for dark, three times as much for milk or white.

As Miss tesso said, try refrigerating your ganache for a short time and whipping it.
If that's not working, simply melt another 4oz of chocolate, *gently* warm your existing ganache, and mix the two together well. You don't have to ditch the whole batch. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%