I Think I Made A Huge Mistake! Help!

Decorating By Hollandy Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 9:44pm by Hollandy

Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 9

I was laying my fondant last night and thought since I didn't want it to stick to the counter I would spray the counter with cooking spray because the powdered sugar didn't seem to be helping and my guests aren't going to eat it anyway. well now tonight I am going to stick on the fondant characters, polka dots, stripes etc and I think maybe they're not going to stick to the fondant because of the spray I used.

CRAP! What am I going to do now. It's 10 at night, nothing is open and the party is tomorrow morning.

8 replies
KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know if this will work now (it might), but I think you should have put corn starch on the counter before rolling out.

Hollandy Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 9

yes, I realize that now. but it's too late. I don't know what I should do.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 9

Did you try it yet? I think it will still work. I use crisco to roll out gumpaste and fondant and don't have a problem with it not sticking.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 9

I've used cooking spray before and the parts still stuck. If it doesn't stick immediately, try moistening it with a brush, let it sit for a while and you will see it will get VERY tacky and stick no problem at all!

Hollandy Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

I've used cooking spray before and the parts still stuck. If it doesn't stick immediately, try moistening it with a brush, let it sit for a while and you will see it will get VERY tacky and stick no problem at all!

THANK YOU! I hope you're right. I feel so silly!

LouiseAdams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouiseAdams Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 9

Can you not stick your dots etc on with royal icing? Which you could easily make yourself with an egg white and icing sugar? This sticks like cement! Just a though if your really stuck!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 9

It'll be fine if you put some water on the back of them.

I roll all of my fondant on a smear of crisco and I've never had a problem. It's nice not to have to clean up any powder when I'm finished. If I were out of crisco, I'd spray some PAM on my rolling surface, wipe it with a paper towel and roll away.

Rae

Hollandy Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 9

thank you ladies! you have put my mind at ease!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%