What Kind Of Board Under Each Tier Of Cake?

Decorating By makeminepink Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 4:28am by makeminepink

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 8

What do you put each of your tiers on if they will be stacked directly on the next tier if not using the sps system? I've been using heavy cardboard covered with freezer paper, but I worry about the tape. I was wondering if someone has a better idea. I've also had trouble with my buttercream and tiny cracking on the stacked cakes. So frustrating after all that trouble.

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 8

You state using heavy cardboard - are you using cake circles? Or some other cardboard?
Many people use foamcore board but I could never cut them nice and straight (cleanly) so never used it. Just a cakeboard is usually good enough.
As for tape used in covering boards w/fzr paper (which is what I usually used) I would cut a fzr paper round the same size as the board and after taping top covering would glue (elmer's glue) the round to the back/bottom.
As for your stacked cakes' icing cracking try adding just a bit more fat (Crisco or butter) to your recipe. Sometimes all it takes to make it creamy-er is as little as a tablespoon more fat. OR some people add a bit of Karo syrup for a similar effect. You want to make the icing creamy-er but not thin it as adding water/milk would. Don't be afraid to play around a bit with your recipe(s). You may not be measuring *EXACT* or it may be more humid/dryer in your area then others. Make notes of what you do - doing one thing at a time - until you are satisfied w/the results and know what works best for you.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 8

I use cake cardboard circles. I do not wrap them in anything.

makeminepink Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 8

Indydebi and Kakeladi, thank you for your replies!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:33am
post #5 of 8

I also use cardboard cake circles and I don't cover mine either. I have
never seen a reason to cover them.

makeminepink Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:37am
post #6 of 8

It just seems like it would soften without some kind of covering. I cut my own cardboard, so it has to be covered. The cake circles you buy just don't seem sturdy enough.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:22am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeminepink

It just seems like it would soften without some kind of covering. I cut my own cardboard, so it has to be covered. The cake circles you buy just don't seem sturdy enough.

They are made of cardboard, not rice paper. Unless you soak them in a sink of water, the cake doesnt' really have enough moisture to make them disintegrate.

Trust me...... I've lost count on how many tiers I've done that were supported by wooden dowels and a single cardboard. They work fine.

makeminepink Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:28am
post #8 of 8

I definitely trust you and love your icing recipe, by the way! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%