Rkt & 3D Modeling

Decorating By cakegroove Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 3:03am by tgress13

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 6

I am about to attempt my first upright 3D figure using RKT. icon_eek.gif I plan to form it over PVC piping. Are there any tricks or advice for an RKT modeling virgin? Any help is most appreciated. Thank you!!!

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 6

Adjust your RTK recipe. I made an entire cake just 3 days ago out of RTK's and it turned out really well. I made 3 double batches of 'treats' and for each batch I measured out 12 cups of rice krispies and using my (gloved) hand I crushed them by gragging handfuls and mashing/crushing them in my hand. This makes the treats denser and gives a smoother finish. After I crushed the r.k. I counted out 72 large marshmallows and melted them in the microwave with 4 TBSP real butter. (I cut the amount of butter by half) Then I used my (gloved and greased) hands to mix the RTK's sort of squeezing and mashing them together as I mixed them up.
By crushing the cereal you will have a smoother finish without lumps and bumps....LOL....
By reducing the amount of marshmallows and butter the treats are more dense as well and seem to hold shape better.

Hope I've made sense...I'm not very good at giving instructions. Written ones anyway thumbs_up.gif

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 6

yes that makes sense! Thanks much! Do you apply anything over the RKT before putting the fondant on it so it sticks? Or do you use modeling chocolate

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegroove

yes that makes sense! Thanks much! Do you apply anything over the RKT before putting the fondant on it so it sticks? Or do you use modeling chocolate

I used a pastry brush and 'painted' on a thin coat of melted white chocolate before covering with fondant. It also tasted delicious. thumbs_up.gif

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 6

when using RKT's for modeling I like to use this method http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623004-pepe.html

tgress13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgress13 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:03am
post #6 of 6

How does the recipe hold in hot and humid weather?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%