Help With This Ribbon Please

Decorating By pish Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 4:29am by carrywilsonhome

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 11

Hi!

I have a bride wanting this cake and I'm having a bit of trouble figureing out how the pattern on the ribbon is done. The described it as fondant impressed with a grid but I can't figure out where to find, how to do it so that I get the "lattice" look. Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!
LL

10 replies
missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 11

Maybe it is that plastic stuff that people used to run yarn through so it kinda of looked like needlepoint or counted cross stitch. kwim?

carrywilsonhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrywilsonhome Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 11

Ron Ben Israel made that, so I would start by checking sources known to him, even his staff. They are really helpful.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 11

This may be sugarveil lace. though I can't tell for sure from the picture.

They have a lace mat that you spread the sugar veil across and it drys to a very pretty lace.

nidachi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nidachi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:50am
post #5 of 11

I saw on a cake show a few weeks ago how they used styrene light panels (can be found at Home Depot or Lowes) to make a pattern on the fondant similar to the look on this cake. I checked Home Depot website and its about $6 for a large piece. Styrene light panels are the plastic covers for the light fixtures on ceilings.[/img]

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:04am
post #6 of 11

What if you rolled the fondant on a mesh screen? Like maybe one of those screens that you use to keep fried foods from splattering?

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:39am
post #7 of 11

Yes they are panels that cover the long fluorescent tubes. I have used this for sides of the cake. It would be done flat first of all and then adhered to the cake. I got mine from a broken one.

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 11

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas! On my way to experiment icon_biggrin.gif

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:18am
post #9 of 11

It says that Martha Stewart made it. Did Ben make it as well?

carrywilsonhome Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:27am
post #10 of 11

LOL @ Martha Stewart making it. But no, really, she did not make it. That is a classic RBI>

carrywilsonhome Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #11 of 11

But really, I missed where it said MS made it? The S watermark at bottom is for her website, but she did not make that cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%