Wedding Cake With Fresh Cream

Decorating By YummyChoo Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm by sweettreat101

YummyChoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyChoo Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 6

Hi
A bride has enquired about a maderia sponge with strawberries n cream filling for a wedding cake... I havent used fresh cream in wedding cakes.. Is is ok to bake and fill the cake 2 days before the actual wedding or does it need to be done at the last possible time?? Will the strawberries go mouldy inside and the cream go off?
Help!
Thanks
Selina xx

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 6

The cream could only be outside of refrigeration for a total of four hours, including decoration and display time.

The strawberries will probably weep, causing the layers to slide apart.

YummyChoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyChoo Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 6

do u think i should suggest an alternative to the fresh cream...? maybe buttercream

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 6

I refuse point blank to use fresh cream as a filling, it's not worth the headache or the risk!

I always suggest a vanilla (or flavored) meringue buttercream - I think it tastes like sweetened whipped cream anyway and it doesn't have to be refrigerated.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 8:44am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

A bride has enquired about a maderia sponge with strawberries n cream filling for a wedding cake... I havent used fresh cream in wedding cakes.. Is is ok to bake and fill the cake 2 days before the actual wedding or does it need to be done at the last possible time?? Will the strawberries go mouldy inside and the cream go off?

If you are a legal kitchen, does your local authority allow cream as part of your home-based business? Most UK ones don't ..

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 6

I use cream fillings in my cakes all the time. This is actually my most requested filling. I use one small box instant vanilla pudding and two cups whipping cream. Whip until peaks form. The blue tiered cake cake was filled with vanilla mousse. I made my brothers wedding cake in June with a layer of vanilla mousse and sliced fresh strawberries on top. I didn't have any problems with weeping. When using fresh strawberries I slice the berries and lay them on top of paper towels to remove as much juice as possible. It is best to wait and decorate the day before the wedding to keep the berries from turning mushy. Keep cake refrigerated. The tiered cake I mentioned was out for four hours with no problems. I also make sure my cakes are chilled well before delivery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%