How Would I Make A Shoe Like This??

Decorating By hugs28 Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 2:29am by hugs28

hugs28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hugs28 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:07am
post #1 of 30

I have never even made a shoe, so I don't know where to start. But I got an order for a Bridal Shower cake and they want this shoe on the top. I figured I can get the ridged ring thing, with no problem, its the actual shoe I am having a hard time figuring out. Is there a pattern? It will go ontop a 6" cake. thanks

sorry for the repeat pics, not sure why it did that icon_sad.gif
LL
LL

29 replies
dwerner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dwerner Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:30am
post #2 of 30

Global Sugar Art Web site has a molding kit for gumpaste.
www.globalsugarart.com

dwerner Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:33am
post #3 of 30

Global Sugar Art Web site has a molding kit for gumpaste.
www.globalsugarart.com

dwerner Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:13am
post #5 of 30

No, the one you pictured is a sugar mold.
The one I had in mind is, Fabulous Shoe Kit by Stephen Benison
Product ID # 18881
$79.00

hugs28 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:22am
post #6 of 30

thanks, a bit expensive lol, I was hoping for a pattern or something. I will keep my options open and continue to look. thank you

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:57am
post #7 of 30

There's 3 or 4 templates/patterns on this page: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=shoe&album=121&search_user=

and there's a great tutorial at this blog (scroll down): http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/01/how-to-make-gumpaste-high-heel-shoe.html

and a 3 part video tutorial here: http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/fancy-shoe-shoebox-cake-video-tutorial-2010-01-10.htm

You'll have to modify, of course, for your specific design.

hugs28 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 30

thank you, that helps alot, appreciate it icon_smile.gif

erichazann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erichazann Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 30

I can make real shoes. Shoes have to be lasted, stretched over a last (shoe form). Gumpaste need to be formed correctly also to look real. The less shoe there is tho, the easier.

The problem with your design is it's a full pump. If you hadn't noticed, most gumpaste shoes are d'orsay (side cut out) or strappy sandals. Strappy sandals can be made w/o having to last the shoe bc there is so little "fabric" to be formed. The d'orsay pump in the tutorial is also mini, so it doesn't look too bad that the toe box and vamp (front part) are not formed properly, it is not really high enough. (Also, pointed toe shoes look better when you don't have a last to form on because the front will naturally be very shallow, so that part will look right.)

Also, don't forget to work in some toe spring for a realistic effect. The front part of the sole should lift up off the ground and not lay flat.

BTW, what she calls the "instep" in the video is the socklining or insole. The instep is the part that goes over your instep.

The last is the fiberglass thing in these pictures.
LL
LL

hugs28 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 30

so in other words, I need to buy a pair of shoes and mold the fondant or gumpaste around it? just make the sole and the heel? Oh I hope this is not going to be hard lol, I don't wanna mess this up lol

erichazann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erichazann Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 9:37pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugs28

so in other words, I need to buy a pair of shoes and mold the fondant or gumpaste around it? just make the sole and the heel? Oh I hope this is not going to be hard lol, I don't wanna mess this up lol

Is the shoe supposed to be life-sized?

You'll need a shoe, or last, or modified doll foot as a guide to pattern and to form the upper. (A large doll foot that is posed in a highheel wearing position can be modified with fimo to get the right toebox shape.)

In the video she suggests cutting up a shoe to pattern the sole from and then use that cutup to form the sole.. otherwise, you need to make or buy a sole former. (When making a real shoe, you use the last.)

hugs28 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 9:47pm
post #12 of 30

The shoe is going on top of a 6" round cake. So it has to be able to fit on there and look right. I didn't think this would be so hard to do lol.

Anyone wanna make me one, I will pay you, I think lolol

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 9:54pm
post #13 of 30

This is basically how I made my first shoe. Nothing complicated, and the template that this tutorial links to are the same as I used,

http://cakecentral.com/articles/124/how-to-make-a-gumpaste-shoe

This is the first shoe I ever made. It wasn't that difficult.

This one would have fit an 8" cake...you would have to downsize the template in the tutorial I think. I'm not sure what size that one is.
LL

tipsytaartje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tipsytaartje Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 30

I am developing a shoe kit with a friend of mine. it's going to be a kit to make a full pump. Not life size, if the shoe is made, it's horizontally like 10cm and 8 cm high. I hope it's for sale in September, October this year. In my photo's posted here, you can see a test shoe, the shoe kit is going to be a little different, but you have an idea.

I made these with just gumpaste, and only a sole and heel former. The top of the shoe is made by hand icon_smile.gif So it is possible icon_wink.gif

hugs28 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm
post #15 of 30

I need it for August 22nd though, sorry icon_sad.gif good luck with the kit.

I will take a look at it and see how I can figure this out. Cause most of the templets are open toed or like sandals, not a full high heel shoe like this. I am going to continue searching lol. thanks

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:07am
post #16 of 30

Tipsytaartje, those shoes are Hot!! I have had my eye on that former set for quite some time now. Looking at yr outcome, I think I might just break down and get one. Thanks for the great pic!

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 9:46am
post #17 of 30

Hi, I brought a shoe from a charity shop, basically I cut the top of the shoe off and molded my paste around the inside of that, then I made a stencil with greaseproof paper, to lay on the inside of the shoe I let the shoe dry for a few weeks (way ahead of time just incase I had to make a new one), I made the heel seperately and hey prest it worked. Good luck hun xxx

tipsytaartje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tipsytaartje Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:00pm
post #18 of 30

msthang1224, thnx icon_smile.gif
I'll keep you posted about the sale of the shoekit if you like icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:22pm
post #19 of 30

Lots of good info on this thread!! I've had the same question, most of the molds and sets are for a shoe with a toe piece and a heel piece, but none for a pump type shoe.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:42am
post #20 of 30

Tipsytaartje, yr welcome. Yes, pls keep me posted on the sale. I would greatly appreciate it icon_smile.gif

marisab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisab Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:07am
post #21 of 30

Have you seen this tutorial? It may help with your shoe.

http://www.how2cakes.com/shoe.html

hugs28 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:07pm
post #22 of 30

Yes I have seen that one. Thank you. The problem is, its not a pump style shoe. I cannot seem to find a how to for a pump style shoe.

hugs28 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:32pm
post #23 of 30

So through some research I found some molds to make chocolate shoes. I am wondering how difficult it would be to make my shoe out of chocolate instead. Gonna try it icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:35pm
post #24 of 30

Chocolate shoes are very easy (and fun!) to make!! I did some in my pix under Bella's Purse cake. icon_biggrin.gif

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:50pm
post #25 of 30

thanks for the great tutorials!

hugs28 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:03pm
post #26 of 30

Very lovely shoes. Now let me ask you, how did you get them hollow like that? I am going to the place by me that has the chocolate molds, but they are solid. She said there was a way to do it, but I didn't understand over the phone what she meant. I will have her show me in person, but I think that will work out well. How heavy are they? Will one of those stand ok on a 6" round tier? That is also Topsy Turvy? lol

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:24pm
post #27 of 30

The chocolate shoe molds have to be cut. You cut them where your foot would enter the shoe and stick both sides of the shoe together with clamps. With me so far? Then you pour the chocolate in a THIN layer, drain it out and let set in frig for just a couple minutes. When it looks like the chocolate is starting to pull away from the sides take it out and pour it again. Do the pouring process three times total for stability. You might want to take the mold and place it on top of a 6 inch cake to see if it will fit. I'm thinking the molds are 7 inches long but I could be mistaken.

Here's a visual that will help you: http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-to-make-chocolate-high-heel-shoes.html

hugs28 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:53pm
post #28 of 30

The lady was telling me I can do it with one mold, just have to do both sides and put them together after. She has a few different molds, a kid size one which is like 4" that should be good, can't wait to get it and try it out lol.
Thank you for instructions, I do understand how it works now.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:33pm
post #29 of 30

i just happened to watch that new show and it shows 3 different bakeries it was on after cake boss, i really liked it gave you detailed way's to do things they did a shoe and she gave really good hints on what to set the shoe on for the curve. or you can try u-tube also, i'm kind of burned out on the cake boss drams.

hugs28 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:29am
post #30 of 30

Fabulous Cakes - I record it every week right along with Cake Boss lol. I love watching those shows. I met Buddy from Cake Boss icon_smile.gif

thank you for the info

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%