Has Anyone Tried Duff's Cake Tattoos?

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 25 Aug 2014 , 9:00pm by johnbailey64

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:52am
post #1 of 15

I'm doing a cake for a little boy's birthday party and one of the cake tattoos that Michaels is selling by Duff matches the invite perfectly. I have thought they looked cool but never actually considered using one until mom gave me this invite and I think it would be great for this cake. So, has anyone used them? Just curious how easy (or difficult) they are. TIA!

Angela

14 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:10am
post #2 of 15

I haven't but I did look at them today. Our Wal-Mart has started carrying them. I thought $12.00 was kind of steep but they were pretty. thumbs_up.gif I'm also curious to know if anyone has used them.

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 15

I agree that they're steep but I was going to use a Michaels coupon on it so it wouldn't be quite so much. Maybe some others will chime in that have used it. icon_biggrin.gif

dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 15

I haven't used them either... I am also curious. They look interesting.

Dreemer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreemer Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 15

I used them this wknd for my daughter's bday cake. I'm faaaar from a professional cake decorater but I still found them fairly easy to use. They're nothing more than an edible image. This was my first time using them though. You have to be super careful getting them off the paper otherwise they stretch and tear very easily. I made the mistake of turning on the sink and one little drop of water splashed on to one of them and it left a hole. ( every cake needs a back side right ? )

I followed the instructions on cake pan size but after leveling the cakes the 'tattoos' were too wide. So keep that in mind. I did two 8 inch cakes on the bottom tier and they fit perfect. Only did one 6 inch on top and had to trim it. Also they are not very forgiving. Once you stick it on the cake, it's there to stay.. lol I should also add that I stuck them to buttercream, not fondant.

The bottom tattoo comes in two strips and the middle one comes in three. Which I thought was weird. I would have rather had just two. Less seams on the cake that way. Plus it ended up being too much. I had to cut it several inches. The top tattoo was the easiest of course. It's just round and ready to go.

All in all my daughter LOVED the way it turned out. I was happy with it, especially for a first try. A more patient person probably could get it to turn out a lot more perfect than I did.. ha.
LL
LL

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:28am
post #6 of 15

So they're basically edible images? I have ordered from Luck's they've got a lot of these kind of sheets. Not as pricey as that,either.

Dreemer Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:59am
post #7 of 15

I'd say that's exactly what they are.

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:10am
post #8 of 15

I used too on june and was so easy and nice to work it. I had the photo in my gallery the second cake, graduation thumbs_up.gif

Dreemer Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:24am
post #9 of 15

Good Job Djor! That looks really cute !

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 15

Your cake looks so cute. My daughter and I saw these yesterday. Now we want a pirate cake!

How did it taste?

mrstrucker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrstrucker Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 15

The tattoos look great but if you can get them off of the backing, that would be great. 
I got the first set off but I wound up with wrinkles that sucked!

I had to redo my cake and the second time I tried taking the tattoos off, I couldn't get

them off to save my life.....excuse me....I got one off and couldn't get the other one off so

I have a cake with a tattoo on one side of the cake only.

At this point I am so frustrated that I won't use them again!!!!!1

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 15

AI've used the Halloween cupcake ones, I always pick them up when they go on clearance. I like them, so long as you put them on a smooth surface (I think I had to wet the buttercream) they're pretty easy to work with.

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 12:26am
post #13 of 15

I have a question about Duff cake tattoos -- I'm using the tie-dye print around a buttercream cake.  I want to have it done the day (or two) before I have to deliver it.  Can the cake with the tattoos go in the refrigerator (boxed) and be ok.  how about when it comes out and then sits outside at an event?  will the colors melt, run, blend?  Thanks for any answers

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 25 Aug 2014 , 8:38pm
post #14 of 15

I don't know about storing in the fridge, but I used the chevron pattern one recently. It worked out pretty good. I liked it. I didn't taste the cake, so I'm not sure if it had a taste or not. I got it on clearance for $7. Well worth it for a little girl who wanted a chevron birthday cake. A LOT easier than doing the chevron in fondant. lol

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 25 Aug 2014 , 9:00pm
post #15 of 15

I would think it would be fine in the fridge as long as it was brought back to room temp in a room with air conditioning. you could always put a fan on it to help too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%