Caster Sugar - Debbie Brown's Cake Recipe

Baking By amandaluvscakes Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm by Cenell

amandaluvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandaluvscakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 9

I am trying out Debbie Browns recipe to make a carved cake for my son's birthday. Can anyone tell me about caster sugar? Is there any problem with using granulated sugar instead?

8 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 9

Caster sugar AKA Bakers sugar is a finer grain than regular granulated sugar. If the only choice for you is granulated, run it through a food processer to make the grains finer.

amandaluvscakes Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:33am
post #3 of 9

Thank you - I have my husband picking up some for me on his way home form work icon_biggrin.gif

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:43am
post #4 of 9

The Domino granulated sugar in BJs is almost as fine as powdered sugar. It's not the same as the one you will get in the Domino granulated sugar you purchase in the supermarket. Get the one in BJ and it is just like castor sugar.

Cheers!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:16am
post #5 of 9

I don't know where you're located, but I get castor sugar at Central Market.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:36am
post #6 of 9

C&H makes it with the title "Bakers Sugar" and my local grocery store carries it, so I expect it's easy to find across the country.

Cenell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cenell Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:38am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaluvscakes

I am trying out Debbie Browns recipe to make a carved cake for my son's birthday. Can anyone tell me about caster sugar? Is there any problem with using granulated sugar instead?

I know that recipe if good for carving, I think is Madeira Cake. Anyway, Is the taste good?

amandaluvscakes Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:03am
post #8 of 9

Yes it does taste good - kind of like a short bread. It says that it is suppose to be moist but seems a little dry to me. The batter was more like a dough and the cake is very firm and should work well for carving. Wish me luck my son who is turning 14 wants the "Sunken Treasure" ship From Debbie Browns Enchanted Cakes for Children. I Made the Tea Pot Cake for my daughter a few weeks ago. I love Debbie Browns Designs icon_wink.gif

Cenell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cenell Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 9

I know they are awesome and thanks you very much for the info. I 'll try it. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%