Sugar Worktool List For A Newbie??

Sugar Work By multilayered Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 10:22pm by imagenthatnj

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 13

I have and interested in starting to work with poured/blown sugar to help bump my cakes up to a new level. What would the bare bones essentials be tool wise for a beginner? Are the things very expensive or can I start with minimal expense? Any advice would be really appreciated.Thanks so muchicon_smile.gif

12 replies
bnmusician Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bnmusician Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 13

I am in the same exact boat and have been thinking about learning how to work with sugar for a while now. I wish there was a place I could take a couple of classes on it. Id love to know this information too.

chococherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chococherry Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 13

I'm new at it as well, and I am just experimenting with trying different things and seeing what works. Right now i have a silicone mat, a bench scraper, a marble stone, a silicone pastry brush, and of course, a thermometer. As I said, I am just starting out.

I will probably be adding the things that follow on this list!

JennuinelySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennuinelySweet Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 13

I too am trying to learn this, going to search cakes with sugar work and ask them to reply to this forum...

Melsablondy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melsablondy Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:21am
post #5 of 13

I am new to decorating cakes all together, but feel with my artistic background I can make a go of it. I plan on learning all I can before I ever start doing cakes for other people and sugar blowing is on the top of my list! The problem is I've just spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on my career as a sculptor over the years and the support and extra spending cash to go full throttle into another artform is limited... so I've decided to get creative and have been making tools of my own! Making my own molds from a home made vacuum box and the plastic from a milk jug (LOL), made a ribbon cutter out of a 3' wide metal gutter and some wood (LOL), and my next attempt will be to make a home-made sugar pump. Sugar pumps cost... what... like $60-$100... well... they look just like a blood pressure pump... right??? Well, I picked up a blood pressure pump off ebay for $6.00 and my dad has some copper tubing about that size... We will see if it works. Now I need to purchase the isomalt, heat lamp, thermometer, and silicone mat. I'll let ya know! :0)

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:24am
post #6 of 13

It has been a year since I took my sugar class but I'll try to remember everything we used.

Heat lamp (and if you can afford it a warming box) but you can also use a microwave, silpats, gloves (they don't help with the heat, they're to prevent fingerprints, marble slab, spirit burner (very important not to use a lighter because it will turn the sugar black). Silicone molds are good, too, like for leaves, rose petals, etc. You can use clay from the craft store to cast a mold to pour large pieces. Okay, that's all I can think of right now.

Sharonvdberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sharonvdberg Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 11:17am
post #7 of 13

Melsablondy, your skill as sculpture will stand you in good stead in cake decorating. guys, tools are just what someone made to make the job easier. if you can copy it cheaply, go for it

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonvdberg

Melsablondy, your skill as sculpture will stand you in good stead in cake decorating. guys, tools are just what someone made to make the job easier. if you can copy it cheaply, go for it

Yes, but you do have to be careful what tools you use with sugar to make sure they can withstand the constant extreme heat.

CakinMeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakinMeCrazy Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:56am
post #9 of 13

When I first started we had a pan, thermometer, isomalt, marble or granite slab. Silpat, wooden spoon, gloves - only latex! We started with isomalt as it was more stable than sugar and doesn't need to much fuss. Isomalt costs though! Sugar is cheaper, but needs glucose (for pliability) and tartaric acid. But to start - just sugar, water and glucose. Here is where the wooden spoon comes in handy! Just play with the sugar - no other tools necessary at 1st. Make curly cues on wooden spoon. A burner is nice to have (and a blow torch) for roses and flowers. But if you have a mold you can just tear off a piece (or cut) of sugar, and mold it. I have added to my supplies as I continue.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 13

I'm glad you posted this. I just got the Sugar 101 video from YummyArts.com and I've been watching it just to see if I even want to get into this (it's the expense factor you know...) icon_rolleyes.gif I love it, she does a great job explaining the 101 aspect of blown and pulled sugar. icon_biggrin.gif

texmez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texmez Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:24pm
post #11 of 13

Can you try and repost that link in the last post? CC blocked it, so if you put spaces and a few characters in, we should be able to figure out how to get that video. Pleeeeeease? icon_biggrin.gif

I've been waiting for a video like this to show up, and it might just become my Christmas present.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 13

Sure, it's Y U M M Y A R T S (dot com). Take the spaces out and do a regular .com at the end. I'm surprised they blocked that one, usually it's another site that gets blocked. If there's any other problems, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 13

Some links that might help you.

http://pieofthetiger.com/2009/03/sugar-work-equipment/

http://www.jeff-the-chef.com/store/products.html

http://atelierdusucre.free.fr/galerie_anglais.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-213811-.html&sid=eb386112a8741ec6db1af5b7b285859d

ALSO, there is a site with free back issues of professional pastry/sugar work magazine. They're downloadable.

pastryna.com

They have things there, from bread, to cakes, to sugar, to cookies. The issues right there are free, don't be misguided by the words "subscribe today."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%