Tom Thumb Wedding Cake Pricing Help !!!

Decorating By jackmo Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 3:24am by jackmo

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 13

hi, i have been asked to do a tom thumb wedding cake for 75 people. a tom thumb wedding is when children are involved. the bride and grrom are children. well, as for the cake, what do i charge since this is a childrens event???

12 replies
cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 13

How can the bride and groom be children? I'm confused

mookamoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookamoo Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 13

more info please ...I don't understand? detective.gif

MrsPound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPound Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 13

Is this a play wedding or something? IDK any country that allows children to marry legally.

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 13

Who is doing the fundraiser? That might help you pick a design.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 13

Maybe you could do the cake in bright colors (a la Whimsical Bakehouse).

MrsPound Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 13

Okay- sorry- I had to research what it was. Since it is an old tradition, maybe recreate a wedding cake from the time period in which the function is being set in. If it is for a company, or fundraising participant, etc, you could include their logo to represent them in a small but semi noticable way, all while keeping the "character" of the theme and trying to be as authentic as possible.

mookamoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookamoo Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 13

Wikipedia answer...

A "Tom Thumb wedding program" probably refers to a wedding pageant in which all of the major wedding roles are played by small children, usually under ten years old. In a Tom Thumb wedding, there would be children assigned to portray the bride, groom, attendants, and sometimes the minister. Smaller children would sometimes play the flower girls and ringbearers. Everyone would be costumed, and there would usually be many photographs.

Staging Tom Thumb weddings was a big American fad during the 1920s, but they were also staged fairly regularly until the 1970s, often as fundraisers for schools or churches.

The term "Tom Thumb wedding" comes from an actual wedding, the marriage of the famous little person General Tom Thumb (born Charles Stratton) to Lavinia Warren, another little person, in 1863. The wedding attracted considerable publicity and was a major event of the time. Tom Thumb was a celebrity promoted by the circus entrepreneur P.T. Barnum, who gave him a stage name inspired by the folk hero Tom Thumb and managed his career starting at an early age.

jackmo Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 13

mookamoo you are right. but how much should i charge for a cake for 75 people since this is a childs event, they the person who ordered does not want it to be real elaborate. thanks in advance.

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 13

The price should not vary from your standard price per serving, depending on if its to be buttercream or fondant. Its still the same kind of cake, no matter what it is being used for.

jackmo Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 13

mrs pound it for a church .

MrsPound Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:20pm
post #12 of 13

Jackmo- I agree with the others here, you charge what you usually would charge. I am a hobby baker, so I would do one free of charge (because that's all I can do) especially if it was my church.

i would just keep it a simple cake. Is it for the play, as a decoration/for the kids to eat? Or a cast/crew celebration cake?

Either way, keep it authentic for the time period in which they are hosting it. Cakes from the 1920 were not elaborate- and no such thing as a "Professional" cake maker.

Good luck though!!

jackmo Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:24am
post #13 of 13

thanks so much for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%