Sittiing Spongebob Please Help Quick!

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 5:00pm by sberryp

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 9

I need to make a SpongeBob cake where it looks like he is sitting...instead of a flat sheet cake. I have been through the galleries but they don't give much detail how it's done. Some say they use 9x13's cut in half or into 3rd's but don't really explain how to cut, stack, etc.

Can anyone give me instructions on how to do this? Thanks so much!

8 replies
sweetcakes2825 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes2825 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 9

I would suggest 1st using a sturdy cake like pound cake and maybe putting a cake board between every two layers and make sure you dowel it hope that makes sense.

audreygb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audreygb Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 9

try looking for tombstone cakes here on cc and follow that principle, in essence but leave off the curvedd top

EmilysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilysCakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 9

I did a cake like this a couple months ago by making four cakes using loaf pans and stacked them. I put two dowels rods through it. The bad thing was I stacked Spongebob on top of a sheet cake, so he wobbled whenever we moved the whole cake. About gave me a heart attack during delivery! You can see the image in my pictures.

audreygb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audreygb Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 9
gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 9

I used square cakes stacked up with boards between the layers. I doweled the lower layers and ran a dowel through the middle of the whole thing. Then I iced in buttercream and added the fondant decorations. I can't remember if I used straight fondant or RKT for the arms and legs. Here's a link to the one I did:

http://cakes.dqd.com/Birthdays_web/images/Sponge%20Bob.jpg

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:46am
post #7 of 9

I made a Sponge Bob a couple weeks ago, I was going to follow a tuturiol I found on line but my oven broke the week of the cake so I did sponge bob out of RKT, I had to bake and make the cake at the birthday girls house so I made sponge bob ahead of time and had him sit on top of a cake the birthday girl helped me make and decorate.

here is a link to the site its under cakefixation blog spot

http://cakefixation.blogspot.com/search?q=sponge+bob

this is the link to my sponge bob cake

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1753900

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone = that was very helpful!!! All of your SpongeBob cakes were awesome.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 9

Wow! Thanks for the ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%