Constuction Method For Tomorrow's Wedding Cake?

Decorating By cai0311 Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 6:40pm by cai0311

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 5

So I thought I had it all figured out. I had a plan of attack in mind that made sense and wasn't difficult. Then last night I had nightmere after nightmere of the cake falling over. I was awake from 3:00am - 4:30am rethinking the entire thing.

I have two ideas - can you please tell me which is better (or if there is a better third option I didn't think of).

The only difference is that the wedding cake I am doing will be 5 tiers of cake and 4 tiers of spacers. The top tier is the one giving me concern because the spacer supporting it is so small.

Attahced is also two quick sketches of the two ways I thought of doing this. I also read different forums on the subject and it seems that both ways have been used, but I couldn't find anything where the poster said how large the cake/spacers were.

I guess I did think of a third option, I could make the spacers 2" high instead of 4" high. The height of the spacers were not specified so I am not held to anything on that in the contract.

4 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 5

I would make the supports between the cake only 2", thats what the pinkbox cake looks like in any case.

cai0311 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 5

Okay, so even with the 2" spacers which method of stacking would be better?

The largest cake I have made using bubble tea straws is 3 tiers. Will they support a 5 tier cake or should I just go with the SPS? The reason I like the bubble tea option is because I feel safer know the spacers are locked in place somewhat.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 5

I only use wooden or plastic dowels, the straws just seems to be way too flimsey for me, but then we dont have bubble straws in SA.
from what I've read about sps, that seems to be a very sturdy support system, if you can get it, why not use it?

cai0311 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 5

Has no one else tried this design?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%