How Can I Make Cream Cheese Bc In A Strawberry Flavor?

Baking By Hollandy Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 8:49am by Hollandy

Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 14

I found this recipe on this website (it was credited to Edna) but I would like to know how I could make it strawberry flavored. Could I just add strawberry jam or maybe even real strawberries? What amount would you use?

Crusting Creamcheese Buttercream

Ingredients

1/2 cup of shortening
1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter @ room temp
1 8oz bar cream cheese @ room temp
1 tblsp white vanilla extract
2 lbs sifted powder sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Directions

Cream together shortening, butter, and cream cheese until nice and smooth. Add vanilla into mixture and combine. Sift together sugar and salt, and slowly add to shortening, butter & cheese mixture. Make sure that all sugar is incorporated. Enjoy!

13 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 14
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 14

I agree with Doug as far as flavoring. If you want it for filling, then add diced up strawberries. But if you are looking for strawberry flavor that can be smooth, go for the flavoring Doug mentioned.

BlueBirdBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBirdBakery Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 14

I decided to purchase the strawberry flavored cream cheese to see how it tastedin my buttercream...It was AWESOME! My family went nuts!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 14

I too would have to agree with Doug. I would love to add the fresh strawberries, but you probably wouldn't be able to decorate very well with it. Either strawberry flavored oil, or strawberry flavored extract should do the trick.

Adding the fresh berries, or preserves, would make a great filling.

Yummm!! Strawberries and Cream Cheese! I'm thinking Cheesecake! Yumo!

Hollandy Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 14

so no jam recomendations? I know I won't be able to get my hands on oil by tomorrow or the following day, but I can get jam or fresh strawberries. and I live in Holland so no flavored cream cheese available yet. icon_sad.gif

Hollandy Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 14

i guess i could make cream cheese buttercream and layer fresh strawberries in it.

beth1819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth1819 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 14

I just had to do the same thing for cupcakes! I pureed fresh strawberries and added about 1/4 to 1/3 cup to the cream cheese frosting recipe. (It was the first time I did it, so I just added the strawberries to taste.) The only thing I did different with the recipe is that I held out the vanilla until the end b/c the strawberries thinned the icing quite a bit. I still ended up having to add a little more powdered sugar to get to a piping consitency, but the result was AWESOME! This frosting looked great piped onto cupcakes, but I do agree that the seeds may make decorating a bit difficult!

sweetiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiemama Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 14

Hollandy,

I can't remember the recipe off the top of my head, and can't search for it at the moment. Try googling "Glorious Treats" blog, and her strawberry cream cheese recipe should be on the blog somewhere. If it is not there it is on Flickr, just search under "Glorious Treats Recipe". I am not sure if hers includes jam, but I believe it does. HTH!

Hollandy Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiemama

Hollandy,

I can't remember the recipe off the top of my head, and can't search for it at the moment. Try googling "Glorious Treats" blog, and her strawberry cream cheese recipe should be on the blog somewhere. If it is not there it is on Flickr, just search under "Glorious Treats Recipe". I am not sure if hers includes jam, but I believe it does. HTH!

Thank you! I found it and it it exactly what I need! You're a star!

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 14

maybe try strawberry jello if you cant get the oil or extract. just a little at a time, start with a tsp and work your way up

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 14

the jello powder i should have said

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:10pm
post #13 of 14

Make a straberry puree:

Take 2 cups of strawberries that are hulled, 1/4 cup sugar and whirl it in a food processor till the strawberries are smooth. Press it through a sieve to get rid of the seeds and pulp. Put what you get left over into your cream cheese frosting. You can stir it in or mix it in a mixer.

I do this all the time with raspberries. Just today I was thinking of trying strawberries and see how that tasted.

ETA: Put the juice you get leftover into the frosting, not the seeds and the pulp.

Hollandy Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 8:49am
post #14 of 14

I ended up using the recipe from Glorious Treats blog and my husband, who doesn't like sweets, loved it. It tastes wonderful! I added a couple drops of red food coloring as the strawberry preserves made it kind of a brown color (since I use yellow butter) and it looks beautiful and tastes even better. Thanks ladies for all of your help and suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%