Will Mmf Fondant Harden Enough?

Decorating By redbonec Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 7:38pm by redbonec

redbonec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redbonec Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 7

I made MMF, colored it, and on Sunday rolled strips it into a rainbow. It will be standing up between two cakes. Today is Wednesday, I have been checking it, and it is still flexible. Will MMF harden enough for it to be hard to stand up without flopping by Saturday?

Also, I was going to attach sticks to the back with royal icing to hold it into the cake, but then remembered that royal icing breaks down with grease, and I did use crisco in the recipe. WHat should I use to attach the sticks?

Thanks for any help!

6 replies
mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't worked with fondant enough to answer that part of your question but I can answer the other one.

Royal icing will break down if grease is present when you are MAKING the royal icing. Once it is made and dried, it doesn't breakdown like it would as it's being made. It will slowly melt over time due to the presence of moisture but it will hold up a lot longer than you may think.

I made royal icing "spikes" (thoroughly dried) attached to some tulle in order to place it into the side of a wedding cheesecake and they lasted all day and after the tulle was removed from the cheesecake, the "spikes" were still in good shape.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 7

I think by Saturday you should be okay...but drying time depends on humidity. Next time you do something along those lines, though, you should use gumpaste or a 50/50 mix, which will dry harder.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 7

I've put my mmf accents in the oven overnight with just the light on (no heat). It seems to help them. Also some people just put a fan on them to help.
Could you attach sticks with Candy Melts?

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 7

I use MMF all the time for accents. I usually mix some tylose in it also, it quickens the drying process. I usually make my accents that need to dry about 1 week in advance, so I think you will be fine. I agree with using the candy melts or melted chocolate to attach the sticks. I love this technique. The choc. dries alot faster than Royal and won't break down.

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 7

I wish you luck getting your MMF to dry enough to actually stand as a rainbow. I ALWAYS mix tylose or gumpaste with my fondant if I want a strong sturdy structure. I never had good luck with getting MMF to dry enough to be strong. Let me know if this works, though and post pics!!

redbonec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redbonec Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 7

I've never used gumpaste, but am reading that many people mix it with fondant.

What is tylose? A few years ago in a fondant class we mixed gum-tex in with fondant to make it more pliable I think, though I haven't used it since. Is gum-tex the same thing as tylose?

I can bring the chocolate with me to adhere the sticks to the rainbow, would have to do it there, as we are traveling an hour with the cake in TExas heat. I am also thinking of using popsicle sticks or dowel rods instead of the thin candy sticks hoping it will be more stable.

Interesting idea about the oven with the light.

Thanks for the ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%