How Much Eggs Is 6Oz Eggwhites?

Lounge By MissCakeCrazy Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 10:53pm by mightydragon663

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 5

I found an italian meringue buttercream receipe which requires 6oz egg whites to be whisked to a meringue. I have egg white powder, how much of this do I use, is it still 6oz?

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 5

I believe 1 egg white is about 2 oz. so I would reconstitute the powdered egg white to equal 3 whites.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 5

Actually, I think you're wrong about that. I believe 1 EGG is 2 oz, one ounce white and one ounce yolk.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 5

yep, I think you're right............30 grams is generally what an egg white weighs and that's just a little over 1 oz!

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 5

Supposedly, 1 large egg with shell weighs approx 2 oz: 1 oz is white .5 oz is yolk and .5 oz is shell. That said, you would still want to weigh the whites as they really aren't that consistant in my experience. As for using powdered whites, I have no idea. You can actually use real egg whites, though because the hot sugar you add will actually bring them up to a safe tempurature effectively pasturizing them.
BTW, I love Italian buttercream, and Swiss buttercream, and French buttercream. For that matter any frosting made with butter makes my mouth do the happy dance. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%