Buttercream

Lounge By MissCakeCrazy Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm by mamawrobin

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 10:26am
post #1 of 6

I am trying to create a receipe that is less sweet to the usual buttercream receipe's that are found on CC. The problem is, when you use less icing sugar, the shape doesn't hold as the ratio of the fat is higher. What can I use to compensate too much icing sugar? Could I use cornflour or will that go mouldy? Any suggestions?

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 10:51am
post #2 of 6

Honestly since icing is mostly sugar and fat I've never seen where adding more sugar makes it any sweeter than it already is? icon_confused.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:09am
post #3 of 6

No, don't lessen the amount of sugar in your recipe. You can alter how sweet the icing tastes by adding salt. I've accidentally overdosed a batch of icing with so much salt that it had virtually no taste at all. I recommend dissolving your salt in your liquids or extracts before adding it to your recipe. The only thing cornstarch will do is bind up the liquids, making the icing stiffer. Play around with the salt content of your recipe until you find the balance that you like.

Also, Swiss and Italian meringue buttercreams are wonderfully rich, buttery icings that are not knock-you-over sweet like the standard shortening/sugar American buttercreams tend to be.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your tips, do you have any swiss / italian buttercream receipe's you can give me?
Also, i have already done inydebbi's buttercream, is it too late to add salt as everything is mixed?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 6

I don't know, as I haven't made her icing. I think Dream Whip is a disgusting product so I don't use any icings that call for it. All you can do it try!

Look in the recipe section here for the meringue buttercream recipes. They are pretty standard. Italian meringue is my preference.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCakeCrazy

Thanks for your tips, do you have any swiss / italian buttercream receipe's you can give me?
Also, i have already done inydebbi's buttercream, is it too late to add salt as everything is mixed?

No..it isn't too late...just dissolve in about a teaspoon of water or milk.

'The Well Dressed Cake SMBC' recipe in the 'most saved' recipes is one of my favorite meringue based buttercream recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%