Feed Vs. Serve...

Decorating By tinygoose Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 11:12am by suzylynn58

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:26am
post #1 of 8

So I'm curious. "I need a cake to feed 200 people." or "I need a cake to serve 200 people."

When I read "feed" I think of really hungry people or lol...horses grazing, when I read "serve" I think of a catered affair. Maybe it's just me...and the fact that it's 1:30am and I can't sleep, but which do you use/prefer? I wonder if it's an in the East West North South thing?

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:48am
post #2 of 8

I think they're interchangeable but I agree that people could have 2 different mindsets when using the terminologies.

When I say "200 servings", to me, that means the cake can be cut into 200 pcs. Whether you "FEED" it to 200 people or 20 people, makes no difference to me.

When I'm shopping for my family and I need to "feed" 6 people KFC, I know how they eat and I know that I'll need to get at least 18 pcs of chicken (not the 12 pc, which is a standard 2-pc "serving").

I guess one is a noun ("serving") and one is a verb ("feed"). icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:50am
post #3 of 8

"Tiny bubbles (tiny bubbles)
In the wine (in the wine)
Make me happy (make me happy)
Make me feel fine (make me feel fine)"

There, tinygoose! I hope you have THAT song stuck in your head now! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tinygoose Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:57am
post #4 of 8

Indy why are we up so late? "Serving" is a noun, but "serve" a verb and a noun. Oh geez, now I'm visualizing cake being served on tennis racquets. lol....and how odd?! Hearing Don Ho over and over in my head. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tinygoose Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:03am
post #5 of 8

Looking for my hula skirt now Indy....thanks for that. Tiny bubbles....in my wine....I'm going to bed. lol....That's just mean. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:23am
post #6 of 8

Oooohhhhh I am SO there with you icon_smile.gif I HATE reading 'feed' re: cake. Not sure why but it really irratates me icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:40am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Indy why are we up so late? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Well, I'm officially goofing off at the night job! icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Hearing Don Ho over and over in my head. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ah! My work is complete! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I HATE reading 'feed' re: cake.

Me too. Sounds like we're sloppin' hogs! icon_lol.gif Ranks right up there on my "List of crap that irritates me!" with calling it a SLAB cake! (A slab is what they put a dead person on in the morgue! Plus I get this image of a person's tongue hanging out of their mouth like the Mick Jaguer logo as they drag out the word "SLA-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-B!!!!! Cake!")

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:12am
post #8 of 8

Me too! The "feeds 100" gives me the mental picture of a cake-eating contest for some reason. No forks, no napkins, just chowing down! LOL! I prefer "serves".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%