Sugar Flowers

Decorating By LoveMeSomeCake615 Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 7:32pm by LoveMeSomeCake615

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:56am
post #1 of 6

How do you determine how much to charge for sugar flowers? Do you charge per flower?

I have a bride who wants to do some kind of bright, tropical flower on her cake. She mentioned Stargazer lilies, Hibiscus, or Frangipani (Plumeria). Do you charge more for more complicated sugar flowers, like Stargazers?

Also, she is trying to decide between doing cupcakes or a cake. For weddings, do you charge the same amount per serving on cupcakes as you do for a wedding cake? So basically, I am asking is it the same price per serving regardless of whether it is cupcakes or pieces of cake?

5 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 6

Bump

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 6

I'd like to know the answer, too. In her DVD "Fabulous Floral Arranging" Jennifer Dontz talks several times about not putting flowers in the back of an arrangement, leaving calyxes off of roses, and not doing so many leaves when a bride wants to save money, so it sounds like you charge by the number of items.

How much for roses vs. filler flowers vs. leaves is another questions I'd like to get an answer to, too. Maybe if you don't get an answer here, we should PM Jennifer and ask her.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 6

Personally, I charge per flower. The cost depends on how complicated the flower is. The more work, the higher the charge. Roses are fairly quick compared to other flowers for me, so they are cheaper usually.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetty

I'd like to know the answer, too. In her DVD "Fabulous Floral Arranging" Jennifer Dontz talks several times about not putting flowers in the back of an arrangement, leaving calyxes off of roses, and not doing so many leaves when a bride wants to save money, so it sounds like you charge by the number of items.

How much for roses vs. filler flowers vs. leaves is another questions I'd like to get an answer to, too. Maybe if you don't get an answer here, we should PM Jennifer and ask her.

A lot of people charge per flower --the complicated ones being more expensive than more simplistic ones. Filler and sprays are usually charged as one piece.

I've seen quotes as much as $15.00 each for a stargazer lily... but that's just around my neck of the woods --they might be more/less elsewhere.

HTH

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! I looked at some different websites last night that sell pre-made sugar flowers to try to get some idea of how much to charge, and I saw similar to what you are saying. I did see that flowers like stargazers and hibiscus were around $15 a piece, while roses and frangipani were more like $2 or $3. It's hard to know where to start on how much to charge, other than knowing how much materials cost and that some flowers are more complicated than others.

P.S. I actually originally posted this in the business forum, not sure why it got moved because it makes more sense to me for it to be there, but oh well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%