Cake Clubs

Decorating By sandykay Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 2:54pm by SHADDI

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 14

I'm looking for some information on cake clubs. I have several people in my area that are instrested and could use some pointers/suggestion on running a club. I want as much info as I can before I decide if I want to take on the task. Thank you in advance for your support.

13 replies
DarleneP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DarleneP Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:19am
post #2 of 14

Oh this is a good one. I would love to start a club too. I am in the Rochester NY area (Canandaigua) and we don't have anything except Wilton in the form of classes. So instruction for newbies is slim pickings....

sweethands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweethands Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:52am
post #3 of 14

Anyone know of any cake clubs in or near the Burbank, Ca. area? icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:07am
post #4 of 14

Have you checked to see if there is an ICES group in your area? If so, this would be the first place to start.

If not, then starting one would be fun!
- Find 2-3 cakers who have good leadership, are well organized, and are motivated to help you with the leadership tasks.
- Sit down and figure out the purpose, the goals, the methods, the costs, the bylaws (if any), membership requirements, etc.
- Find a place to hold the meetings. I have found that consistency and easy parking are key to a good turnout.
- Plan activities, speakers, demonstrations for the first 4-6 meetings. Once you have the ideas in the pipeline, then you are less stressed trying to come up with an idea for "the next!" meeting! icon_surprised.gif
- Will there be a newsletter via mail or email? Whoever handles this, should also handle publicity and press releases.

It may start out with just a few cake friends getting together to 'talk cake', which may evolve into something much bigger. Dont' worry if it starts small. The purpose is fun and sharing. thumbs_up.gif

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 14

ICES has actually made a guide to starting a local cake club. It has sample press releases, meeting suggestions, and everything.

http://www.ices.org/communications/publications/Guidelines%20for%20Starting%20a%20Local%20Cake%20Club.pdf

If the link doesn't work, just google "how to start a cake club and you will find it.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:10am
post #6 of 14

Thanks for the suggestions, I know ICES list local clubs and there is suppose to be one in my aera but the one time I was able to reach the girl she was going to call me back and I never heard from her. I dind't know that ICES had info on helping to start a club though. Again Thanks for the help.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 14

Hi there,
I am very actively involved in the cake club in my area. I run the website and do the monthly newsletter for the club too. Debi's suggestions are very good.

Once you have a few people who can meet, have a place to hold the meetings, the best part is seeing and/or participating in demos. I find that when our club knows what the demo will be, we have a lot bigger turn out.

Our club president opens with general info, news, anything business related, welcomes guests, etc. Someone brings refreshments and drinks.
We have one or two demos each month given by members. We talk about upcoming events, fairs, cake shows, ICES, member's cakes/sugar art, share pictures, tv shows relating to cakes and pretty much anything we think is relevant.

We usually have a 50/50 raffle where the winner gets half the money and the other half goes to a scholarship fund. As well as general raffle prizes. People bring in new tools or supplies to show off too. We have an annual Christmas party/cookie exchange that is a lot of fun. We have at least one hands on demo per year where everyone gets to make something at a meeting.

It's mainly just fun to get together with people who love talking cake! Take a peek at our website and it might help with other questions you have. http://www.freewebs.com/confectionconnection/

Hope that helps!

KimAZ

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 14

Visit

www.newyorkcitycakedecorators.blogspot.com

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:20am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneP

Oh this is a good one. I would love to start a club too. I am in the Rochester NY area (Canandaigua) and we don't have anything except Wilton in the form of classes. So instruction for newbies is slim pickings....

Darlene, Please keep me posted. My sister-in-law and I would be interested in joining a club in the Rochester area. Thanks!

Peanut1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:20pm
post #10 of 14

I live in Southern NJ and would love to find a cake club around here. I'm just a hobbiest so it wouldn't be possible for me to start a club since I'm still learning.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 14

So what does a cake club do? I have never heard of these things.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:33pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

So what does a cake club do? I have never heard of these things.

I'm sure they are all different. Our club meets once a month. One of the officers is in charge of finding someone to give a demonstration/lesson each month. Sotimes it's hands-on, and sometimes it's just a demo. We also talk about stuff, see if people need help, etc. It's a great resource when you need to borrow something you don't own too.

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneP

I may be interested as well. I am in the southern tier but I haven't found anything like this in my area.

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 14

sandykay,

Here is FL Ices website with a list of cake clubs in FL.

http://www.flices.org/about/clubs.asp

Hope that helps.

Shaddi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%