Key Lime Help...please!

Baking By MJTKNT Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 1:28am by MJTKNT

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 7

I'm trying to make a key lime cake. I was planning to use Macsmom's recipe. I purchased all the ingredients EXCEPT the key lime extract. Then I headed to my local candy/cake supply store that carries Lorann oils. No luck with key lime! The closest they had was regular lime. I bought it, but I don't know if it will make a huge difference in taste. I can't tell the difference between the tast of a key lime and a regular one- so what is it? Should I just use the lime, or is there another fix? I don't have time to order it for this particular- short notice- order. I need to bake tonight.

Also- I've found a lot of recipes that call for bottled key lime juice. I can't find the darn stuff ANYWHERE. Where have you found it, and what does the bottle look like? Maybe I'm just looking for the wrong stuff...?

Also- does anyone know if the key lime buttercream in the following recipe will crust, or should it mainly be used as a filling?
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7294/key-lime-cake-with-key-lime-buttercream

6 replies
Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #2 of 7

I have no idea about the lime extracts, but did have good luck finding key lime juice in my local grocery store (Bakers). It was next to the Realemon lemon juice bottles, in a similarly shaped bottle (only one available here - Nellie and Joe's famous Key West Lime Juice, 16 fl oz). HTH

MJTKNT Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:28am
post #3 of 7

Dang- I wish I had such luck. I looked there, and they only had regular lime juice. I bought it as well...but it's not "key lime."

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:33am
post #4 of 7

Can you find fresh key limes? They are smaller than regular limes and are a bit of a pain to extract the juice but that's what I use. HTH!

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:42am
post #5 of 7

If your grocery store has an alcohol mixers section, you might want to check there, also. That's where mine stocks the Nellie and Joe's. It's NOT located next to the regular lemon and lime juices - just near the bloody mary and mojito and pina colada mixers. icon_confused.gif

And there is indeed a difference in flavor.

dherringfarms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dherringfarms Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:51am
post #6 of 7

My sister in law sends me this wonderful key lime juice from Key West. It is called "Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice". I use it for cakes, marinades and an awesome key lime pie recipe on the bottle. Their web address is: www.keylimejuice.com or you can call them at 800-LIME-PIE. Good luck and you won't be disappointed.

MJTKNT Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:28am
post #7 of 7

Edit-- I found the dang key lime juice! Yay!!

I guess I'm going to go ahead and make it as written without the key lime extract, and just add a little of the lime extract at a time, with a little key lime juice. We'll see...here's hoping it turns out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%