Covering A Shoebox Cake?

Decorating By jewels710 Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 3:09pm by debbief

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 4

For those of you who have done shoebox cakes, did you apply the fondant over the whole shoebox (not including the lid piece) like covering a square cake?

OR did you do each side seperately and attach the corner edges together?

OR did you do one long piece to roll up and wrap around the box sides to end up having only one seam?

Trying to figure out the best way to go about this?

Any other tips you could offer would be great too!

Thanks a bunch!

3 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 4

here is a link for a video for shoebox:

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 4

For the one in my photos:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1441239

I covered the rectangular cake with one piece of fondant, just as I do any other square/rect shaped cake. I used 2 fondant smoothers to get the sharper corners.

For the lid, I mixed a bit of tylose into the fondant, cut the top piece and 4 separate strips for the sides and let dry on a baking sheet for about 30-60 min (actually cut the lid first and let dry while I prepped and covered the cake with fondant).

Applied the stiffen top piece & glued on the 4 strips with candy melts. I did need to do a bit of trimming for the top piece because my measurements had been a bit of a guesstimate since I cut the lid before covering the cake in fondant, but an Exacto knife did the trick. HTH.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 4

I made my shoebox with four separate panels. I couldn't get the corners to line up exactly so I covered them with another piece of fondant matching the lid. The lid was just one piece of fondant. I trimmed the edges after laying it on top. If I were to do it again, I'd probably do it the same, but I have a little more experience now than when I did this one, so I think I'd be able to get a sharper, cleaner look. I think I used a youtube tutorial from Pink Cake Box. It was very helpful.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1620845

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%