Icing A Cake

Decorating By allisonlalla Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 12:16pm by Tellis12

allisonlalla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allisonlalla Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:09am
post #1 of 3

Does anybody have tips on icing a cake? For the life of me I cannot ice a cake without the sides showing through. Most of my cakes end up being covered in fondant due to this problem. I use the Wilton buttercream recipe (which is way to greasy!!) so I am not sure if that is my issue. If people have an icing suggestion or tips for icing a cake that would be great.

Thanks

2 replies
lam159 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lam159 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 11:33am
post #2 of 3

There are videos on youtube that show you how to ice a cake. As for your icing, try either indydeb's or sugarshacks....I personally have used indydeb's and it works great. I haven't had a chance to try sugarshack's yet. But I know indydeb's buttercream is a forgiving buttercream...you can alter it if you need to...adding more of this or less of that. HTH The only time I have ever used Wilton's buttercream was to practice with.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 3

I like sugarshacks recipe. It sounds like you're not using enough icing though. Don't be afraid to apply a lot. When you're smoothing it you want to have enough of it to take of a thin layer or two and have it still covering the cake. I second the youtube suggestion as well. You can find tons of great videos on there. Good luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%