Freezing & Transporting Decorated Sugar Cookies

Baking By WAdora66 Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 7:53pm by WAdora66

WAdora66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WAdora66 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:44am
post #1 of 3

My niece asked me to make cookies for her wedding guests as party favors (wedding is July 2011). She would like sugar cookies made from the 3-teir wedding cake cutter and decorated with royal icing. Needs 300 of them! Would I be able to make them ahead of time (about a week prior?), individually package them, freeze them, then transport them 6 hours the day before? I was thinking of dusting the flooded royal icing area with a pearlescent edible dust so it doesn't stick to the bag? Any advice you could give me would be wonderful! Thanks!!

2 replies
BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 3

Yes, yes, yes, and yes to all your questions. icon_biggrin.gif

I have baked, decorated and frozen cookies up to 2 months ahead of time. Make sure the royal icing is completely dry before you package the cookies. When you freeze them, i would put the cookies standing up and pack them into an airtight container and freeze. I also put several layers of glad wrap ( I think you call them saran wrap in the US) around the container before putting into the freezer.

Whenyou need the cookies, take the container out of the freezer and just let the cookies defrost. You do not need to take them out of the container.

If you let your royal icing completely dry, you will not need to dust with the pearl dust as the cookie won't stick to the bad.

If you need to make 300 coockies, I would start earlier than 1 week before the wedding.

Here are some that I had made for a wedding a few years ago.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=75991

WAdora66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WAdora66 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Barbara! Nice to know I can make them that far in advance! I appreciate your help. This site is wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%