Did You Hear... Walmart No Longer Makes Wedding Cakes!

Decorating By ttehan4 Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 1:36am by abra526

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 38

Not sure if it is chain wide yet, but my Aunt is a manager at our local Walley World and she said that they are no longer making wedding cakes!

Oh such a tragedy....NOT!

37 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:24am
post #2 of 38

Oh mine still does! They have a whole dummy display in all their poorly piped glory...

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:24am
post #3 of 38

maybe people will stop comparing our wedding cake price to wal-marts now!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:57am
post #4 of 38

OMG! icon_surprised.gif That is tragic! Where are all those cheap people going to go now? Oh, Lordy. What has this world come to. My, my, my, my. tsk tsk...... icon_cry.gificon_evil.gif
Sandy

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:57am
post #5 of 38

There isn't a Wal-Mart within a 75 miles of me that does wedding cakes. I actually didn't know any of them did. icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:17am
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

There isn't a Wal-Mart within a 75 miles of me that does wedding cakes. I actually didn't know any of them did. icon_lol.gif

When my sister got married, she had a Walmart cake. The cake was 4" thick with no filling. The plates between the tiers were thin styrofoam and the pillars were the push through kind. There was an angry cake devil on my shoulder that prevented me from helping her assemble the cake at her reception, and the cake fell about an hour later.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:20am
post #7 of 38

Our local store still does, and has their dummy cake up as well. It's the same one that's been there for 5-6 years.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #8 of 38

hmmmm...i wonder if this is actually going to go nationwide? it might take a while but if they feel it's not worth their efforts they could be taking away that opiton.

who's to say people won't be silly and just get some cakes and try to stack them themselves icon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:28am
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

When my sister got married, she had a Walmart cake. The cake was 4" thick with no filling. The plates between the tiers were thin styrofoam and the pillars were the push through kind. There was an angry cake devil on my shoulder that prevented me from helping her assemble the cake at her reception, and the cake fell about an hour later.

Were you doing cakes then?? I cannot imagine your sister not having YOU to do her cake. You do amazing work and if she chose Wal-Mart over your cakes then it serves her right that it fell icon_twisted.gif

That probably wasn't very nice of me but...... icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:31am
post #10 of 38

Ok, peeps! Here's the opportunity!!

Bride: I can get it cheaper at walmart!

Caker: Uh, not anymore. I guess that's what happens when a place FINALLY figures out that making super cheap-o cakes at a loss isn't a good business practice!
icon_biggrin.gif

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:50am
post #11 of 38

I've never seen that service offered in any of our Wal- Marts in Manitoba, yuk can't imagine. tapedshut.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:12am
post #12 of 38
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Were you doing cakes then?? I cannot imagine your sister not having YOU to do her cake. You do amazing work and if she chose Wal-Mart over your cakes then it serves her right that it fell icon_twisted.gif

I have an aunt (by marriage, but still an aunt) who has said in the past that she can't believe what some "people" charge for cakes. "It's just cake!" she's said. I just hold my tongue, but the reason I'm shocked with her words is because her own daughter is into cakes. I would have thought she would have some kind of respect for what we do. . .but I guess not.

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:15am
post #13 of 38

Don't tell anyone, but before I started making cakes, I thought wal-mart had "really good" wedding cakes and cakes in general. Now that I know what a cake is supposed to taste like, I'm appalled at how "simple" I was. Thank God I've seen the light!

Does that make me a cake snob?

indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:39am
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlayers

Does that make me a cake snob?

Yes. Yes it does! And you should wear that sign proudly and prominently!!! thumbs_up.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:29am
post #15 of 38

Munchkins
Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead.
Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
Wake up, the Wicked Witch is dead. She's gone where the goblins go,
Below - below - below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
Let them know
The Wicked Witch is dead!

tinygoose Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:30am
post #16 of 38

Sorry just felt like doing a little jig. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:02am
post #17 of 38

Oh great! Here I am ... all alone in a hotel, working the midnight shift .... and NOW i can't get that stupid song out of my head! icon_cry.gif

nice one, tinygoose! nice one! icon_razz.gif

tinygoose Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:04am
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Oh great! Here I am ... all alone in a hotel, working the midnight shift .... and NOW i can't get that stupid song out of my head! icon_cry.gif

nice one, tinygoose! nice one! icon_razz.gif

So sorry Indy, lol...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:34am
post #19 of 38
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I had started doing cakes with the goal of doing her wedding cake. I didn't have a lot of experience back then, but I could have done better than what she got.

She's kind of competitive and I think she didn't want anything to take the focus off of her that day.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:15am
post #20 of 38

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif thanks for he giggl tinygoose...

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:46am
post #21 of 38

Maybe they got tired of all the Bridezillas coming back wanting refunds, and decided it wasn't worth it anymore.

If people try to scam GOOD bakeries and decorators the way I read here on some of the threads, imagine how many think they can get their money back from the "big corporation".

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:27pm
post #22 of 38

I asked my aunt and she said it will be going chainwide. Not sure how long it will take, but she said probably not long. They are revamping their stores. First they went to this clean line plan...I used to work for Proctor and Gamble.... I just know these things..lol. If you look next time you are in walmart they dont have any pallets out in the isles any more. Now they are on to their produce departments, bakery and deli areas and doing some work there.

I had a bride come in yesterday and needs a wedding cake for the 14th.. yes two weeks! She had booked a cake with another bakery not far away and they had called her and told her they had changed their delivery prices and it was going to cost her a bunch more. Then they told her they won a cruise and may not be able to do the cake , she would have to wait and see! Are you kidding me!! She demanded a refund and got it. I told her she was lucky I could do it. I told her " honey your werent even going to be able to get a walmart cake!" LOL!!

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #23 of 38
Quote:

I never even knew either.. Who would have thought..

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #24 of 38

While this is probably good for those who deal with brides that make the "but I can get it cheaper at wal-mart" statements I kinda feel bad for people that actually can't afford $500+ for wedding cakes. They have every right to have a "nice" cake at their weddings so where will they go?

I'm new so ignore me if my statement is ignorant plus I don't deal with brides so my opinion is pretty much a moot point.

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #25 of 38

Where I live Super Target does wedding cakes as well as Publix, so Wal Mart ending their service will just mean that everyone will go across the street to Super Target. (Yes they are actually across the street) Thankfully they do not offer what the bakery I work with offers so we get all of the Gluten free, Vegan, and Organic orders.

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

Maybe they got tired of all the Bridezillas coming back wanting refunds, and decided it wasn't worth it anymore.

If people try to scam GOOD bakeries and decorators the way I read here on some of the threads, imagine how many think they can get their money back from the "big corporation".

And it's well-known that Wal-Mart will refund you for ANYTHING! So, hey, why not recoup some of the money spent on a wedding? Well, I hope all of them stop selling those dried out, been frozen for 3 years cakes!

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:23pm
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by au_decorator_76

While this is probably good for those who deal with brides that make the "but I can get it cheaper at wal-mart" statements I kinda feel bad for people that actually can't afford $500+ for wedding cakes. They have every right to have a "nice" cake at their weddings so where will they go?

Quite a few large grocery stores still offer wedding cakes, so there's still a less expensive option for brides on a strict budget. thumbs_up.gif They may be a few dollars more than Walmart, but they're still cheaper than a custom bakery.

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:37pm
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_decorator_76

Quite a few large grocery stores still offer wedding cakes, so there's still a less expensive option for brides on a strict budget. thumbs_up.gif They may be a few dollars more than Walmart, but they're still cheaper than a custom bakery.

Yeah I suppose that's true in most places. Where I live (backwoods Alabama) we have custom bakery's and wal-mart. The Pig doesn't do cakes. So that really limits what bride's here can get without driving 40 miles to the bigger super markets but I guess that's what they'll be doing. icon_smile.gif Doesn't affect me either way just something I thought about.

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:39pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I had started doing cakes with the goal of doing her wedding cake. I didn't have a lot of experience back then, but I could have done better than what she got.

She's kind of competitive and I think she didn't want anything to take the focus off of her that day.

I'm sure that you would have made a much better cake and one that wouldn't have tumbled on her as well. I bet she has secretly regretted not having you do her cake now that she sees the cakes that you make. thumbs_up.gif

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #30 of 38

Most of the people I've talked to have been getting people they know or hobbyists that they've heard of to do them. One of the plus sides of living in a smaller town, and can also be a bad thing, is that we all know what other people are up to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%