I Want To Be A Cake Decorator!

Decorating By MandeeElle Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 11:59pm by MandeeElle

MandeeElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandeeElle Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 9

I have a passion for making and decorating cakes, but I have never done or learned anything professional. I live in Central Florida. Does anyone know of any cake decorating classes I could take? Do I need to e a pastry chef to become a cake decorator? I am having trouble getting off the ground here Thanks!

8 replies
CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 9

Mandee, please check with your local Michaels or Hobby Lobby craft stores to see when you can take the classes. If you go to Michael's website you can see the class schedule I believe. Just put in your zip code and it will pull up the stores closest to you. I took classes with a local bakery. You can Google the subject as well to see what's available in your area. Those classes are a good starting point. You are on the right track because you've joined Cake Central and this site is very very helpful and informative. Good luck and can't wait to see some of your work.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 9

You could start with Wilton cake decorating classes...

http://www.wilton.com/classes/classlocator.cfm

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 9

HI!

Congratulations on discovering your passion for caking! I would say, no, you don't have to be chef to become a caker!

It's a lot of fun and never seems to get boring. At least, not for me!

If you have a Michael's Craft Store in your area, they usually have classes. I have not had classes, but no doubt they are a huge help! icon_biggrin.gif
I've messed around with baking cakes forever, and just got serious about it a while back. This site is AWESOME when you need help, or just to vent. Don't get discouraged if you don't get a lot of responses. Sometimes it takes a little while for a return, but it's usually worth the wait!

Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 9

I would contact Edna at designmeacake.com She does beautiful work and I think she teaches Wilton classes. She is in the Orlando area. Congratulations on your new venture. You will learn a lot from her also but hands on is always better.

MandeeElle Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and encouragement! I have contacted my local Michael's and am going to take he classes they offer there! icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 9

Yeah, if it's possible for you to take classes from Edna, I would sooooo do it! I've already been decorating for 3 years, but I would still take her classes, just to see if I can learn anything new or different.

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 9

If I lived anywhere near Edna, I'd sign up for every class she taught! She'd be sick of me! icon_wink.gif

~diem

MandeeElle Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 9

wow! she has quite a following! im going to email her! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%