Trying To Teach My Boyfriend The Joys Of Baking...

Decorating By charliebenn Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 6:01pm by charliebenn

charliebenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliebenn Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 7

My guy is pretty mcuh hopeless in the kitchen, to where his job of cleaning the dishes after we cook sometimes also ends in a slight disaster... So I'm trying to think of a way to teach him how to cook and get a lot of fun out of doing something small like cupcakes or something, but don't have the slightest idea how to approach it! I'm new here, but was hoping someone out there in cyber space would be able to help or offer some suggestions?

6 replies
Chibikuma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chibikuma Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 7

If he's hopeless in the kitchen, maybe start with box mix first? just to get a hang of it and not to overwhelm him with what everything does?

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 7

Or maybe some simple desserts that just require assembly-not really baking- like a trifle made with some leftover cake, fruit, and whipped cream, or some 7-Layer Bars, or a dump cake. Those are not items that you can mess up very easiliy.

charliebenn Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 7

I just feel kind of bad...he always just ends up doing the clean-up afterwards. I know that's a great job to delegate, but I kinda feel like he feels badly afterwards. I always make a big deal about how it was his idea, and he did this really well and that really well, but I'm not sure any of it sticks. After all, this is the guy that has almost destroyed 2 frying pans, one of which was sentenced to the balcony for weeks covered with some oven cleaner in it to lift up the burnt-on olive oil.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 7

Check into the "A Man, a Can, a Plan" cookbooks.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 7

has he watched Alton Brown's "Good Eats"? my hubby loves that show.

charliebenn Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 7

I think he may be quite happy dj-ing our baking expedition, and I think he really enjoys watching... I wonder if that's enough for him?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%