Florida Food Freedom Act Did Not Pass

Business By homebasedbaking Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 3:08am by linedancer

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 11

The legislation for the Florida Food Freedom Act did not pass either chamber of the Legislature this year. All I can suggest is bakers need to regroup and really pull together an online petition and start now speaking with legislators in your community about passing a "cottage law food bill."

Start A Cottage Law Food Movement

http://homebasedbaking.com/knowledgebase/articles/cottage-laws-regulations/start-a-cottage-law-food-movement

If you are interested in learning about how you can contact your legislators about creating a cottage law please review the information and the sample letter provided. This information would not be possible if not for the contributions, courage and dogged determination and support of the Texas Cottage Food Law - http://www.texascottagefoodlaw.com/.

You will need to:

* Research the home-based baking issue thoroughly
* Be prepared to bring facts
* Muster the support of other home-based bakers in your state
* Muster the support of a State Senator
* Develop a relationship with your State Representative and/ Senator and his/her staff over the interim
* Mobilize support live bodies that are in this for the long haul (having more supporters (at a hearing) than opponents is imperative)
* Understand that thick skin is mandatory since the opposition will stop at nothing to shut the bill down
* Exhibit sensitivity and working with your opponent (maintain a professional demeanor)

The primary issue surrounding the opposition of a cottage law usually stems from the fact competition in the baking world will increase and a state government agency e.g. health department Department of Agriculture or whomever will have more work to do, usually with less funds and staff.

* Currently there is no evidence from other states with cottage food laws that home baked goods are a health hazard.

Hope this helps...& good luck....let me know if I can do anything if you decide to petition!!!

10 replies
tiers2you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiers2you Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 11

Well, I wish them luck next time their legislation meets. Tough blow. I hope Texas has better luck this coming year.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:32am
post #3 of 11

Oh, we will. thumbs_up.gif

hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:44am
post #4 of 11

Texas is doing it this year?!?!?! Heck yeah! I had no idea. When does this take place?

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:48am
post #5 of 11

This is from another thread on this topic and was submitted by jhay:

I wrote to my representative and his legislative assistant wrote back with this reply...

Dear Jaime,

Thank you for your e-mail to Rep. McKeel. As you know, the Florida Food
Freedom Act was not heard in committee this session. However, the budget
includes funding for a study by the Department of Agriculture and
Consumer Services on state and local regulations and how they affect
small farms/businesses when introducing their products into commerce. By
the end of this year, the Department will submit recommendations to the
President of the Senate and Speaker of the House on the most efficient
and effective ways to ensure food safety while minimizing the cost to
small farmers and businesses. I'd look for legislation during next
year's Session.

Sincerely,

Callie Neslund
Legislative Assistant to Rep. Seth McKeel
(863) 647-4896

Just wanted to hold out hope that maybe next year it might be our turn thumbs_up.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 11

I'm glad you posted this letter from your representative. The bill never made it out of committee, therefore there was no vote and you can't say the bill failed. It was never acted upon. Hopefully next year will be a different story.

Paul

linedancer Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:48am
post #7 of 11

Want to clarify it was jhay that sent the letter to her rep and posted the reply, wish I could take credit. Did want everyone to understand that the bill is not dead nor has it failed, as you stated, Paul.

BTW met either you or Peter, sorry don't remember which, at the mini classes in Orlando last winter, weren't they great?? We were in a couple of Susan Carberry classes.

KrazyAboutCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyAboutCake Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:07am
post #8 of 11

I'm not sure were homebasedbusiness got the information about the Florida Freedom Food Act not passing. The legislation will be discussing this and making a discision at the end of this year 2010. I have been sending letters to the state representatives to support and pass the Cottage Food Act. The Florida Freedom Food Act is different it pertains to the farmers selling their produce, honey and jams from their farms to the public. I received an email from Jeff Poole stating the Florida Freedom Food Act will be discussed at the end of December. He also thought that it will include home baking. If anyone would like to see this email please PM me.

I was interviewed by ABC Action News this past Sunday about the being able to bake from home. If you live within the area that ABC broadcast this will air either Saturday or Sunday or both during the hours of 6am-9am. For those of you who are not in the area of broadcast, I will send you the link to ABC website you can PM me for that information.

Now is the time to be contacting your State Representatives continue to send those letters.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 11

Linedancer---I was in Susan Carberry's mini bridal dress. I also took two of Nicholas Lodge's classes. Peter was with Keith Ryder doing all of the blown sugar work. Going to DOS in September in Daytona Beach? Perhaps we'll see you there!

Paul

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiers2you

Well, I wish them luck next time their legislation meets. Tough blow. I hope Texas has better luck this coming year.

Please let us know when Texas plans on addressing this. I want to get involved if I can.

linedancer Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:08am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

Linedancer---I was in Susan Carberry's mini bridal dress. I also took two of Nicholas Lodge's classes. Peter was with Keith Ryder doing all of the blown sugar work. Going to DOS in September in Daytona Beach? Perhaps we'll see you there!

Paul

Yes, that was the one, those tops were trouble right?? won't make Daytona, I am in MI until middle of Oct. Am thinking of going to Linda McClure's Brunswick class in Nov, though. Sorry guys, didn't mean to hijack the thread..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%